Speedometer and Radio surge

hi there,
I'm having some problems with my '02 1,6LX Ford Focus and wondered if anyone was having the same issues, or knew of the problem.
It seems there is some sort of power surge happening in my car at
intermittant points, the radio gets very loud and the speedometer flies up to the maximum. It can happen while I'm driving or stationery and doesn't seem to correspond to me doing anything. I've had it checked by a local garage and they can't seem to see anything wrong with it. I've also had it checked by a Ford Garage, (who were pretty hopeless) and after about 3 days testing of the car decided it was a dodgy alternator (which they charged 179 to fit) but it still hasn't solved the problem.
So again, has anyone had similar problems or does anyone know what it could be?
Regards
Colin
HI
I would take it straight back to the Ford garage and tell them to sort it out. You took it to them to sort out as professionals, paid them handsomely and yet the fault still exists. Incompetence springs to mind. If you wanted to try this, and try that, you would have done the job yourself.
I would also talk to trading standards before your visit to see exactly where you stand.
Mike
[...]
...and casually ask them if, maybe, the vehicle speed sensor is playing up.
then find a better ford garage!
"Mike" wrote ...

Yup. The speed sensor is faulty. The radio gets louder because the volume increases with speed. The OP might be able to turn down the level of the 'fade' (?) function to prove the point.
Al.

Thanks alot guys.
I'll see how much this is going to cost and let you know if it solves my problems.
Thanks again.