Spongy brake pedal

I have a 2002 Focus SE, NON ABS brakes. I just replaced the pads and rotors myself. I didn't open the system but did lose a minor amount of brake fluid from the cap when I pushed the pistons back into the caliper using the same procedure that I have on many other cars. After finishing, I found the brake pedal was spongy / soft. I thought this would go away after running for a few minutes and braking during a test drive. It did not. I bled the brakes myself the next day to no avail. Still thinking it has air in the system, which is the common reason for a spongy pedal, I took it to a brake shop where they flushed and bled the entire system .... again, to no avail! I took the car into the dealer two days ago and after flushing the system 4 times! and inspecting it for problems including my install job, no problems were found. They called me today to indicate that it was "ready to go". I drove less than 1 block from the dealership and realized the same spongy pedal problem existed. I took it right back to the dealer and now they are saying I installed too soft a pad which is BS. The old pads were about 70% so I sent them back to the shop with the courtesy driver so the shop could reinstall them to see if it would make a difference. (The rotors were shot, that is the only reason I replaced both pads and rotors). Dealer service personel have called the Tech line with Ford and have not been given any reason for the soft pedal. The dealer service manager tells me while the pedal is soft, they are safe. This is my step daughter's car and I don't want her having an accident from this. DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS OR HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS WITH THEIR FOCUS HAVING A SPONGY PEDAL????

Reply to
2002 Focus

I can't think of any reason other than that the pads need to bed into the new rotors. I know that a couple of years ago I put on new pads and rotors and had no problems (2000 wagon, also non-ABS). There's a simple test to see if they're safe. Take it out on a safe wide gravel surface, go about 40 and nail the brakes. If all four lock up, you're good to go.

Reply to
Dave Gower

a few questions;

did you fit original parts,or 'cheap'ones? has it been bleed with the correct spec brake fliud?

other than this then i guess you just need to bed them in

Reply to
ford_technical_

"2002 Focus" queried:

My Fairmont had grabby breaks (a feature noted by Consumer Reports). My Taurus' breaks were unnotable. And my Focus's breaks have always seemed spongy by comparison. Had it checked when I bought the car; apparently that's normal for a Focus.

-- Don

Reply to
Don McC

my guess after all that is that when you pushed the piston back into the calliper to compress it enough for the thicker new pads, the piston either cracked or dragged some crud through the seal... I'd look real closely at the callipers where the pistons meet the seals

Reply to
sn00p

BINGO! This guy's good...

Reply to