What to look out for when buying a Focus TDCI?

Hi
I am looking at buying an 03-04 year Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI zetec or ghia in the near future depending on price.
Are there any common problems I should keep an eye out for when I look at
cars so I dont end up having any huge expense to put things right after buying it.
Thanks
Chris
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 14:13:23 -0000, "Chris Steels"

severely depleted bank balance.
--
All the best
David Millen
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:31:04 +0100, David Millen wrote:

Well reading the Focus page on that site, I would certainly hesitate before buying one! Although in the middle of the page they mention the excellent reliability record and the various recommendations for the model. They aren't that cheap to fix either, as my dead instrument panel cost over 300 to replace.
--
Chris Game

"Everything that can be said can be said clearly."

Exactly. It's a bit of a lottery - most of the time, it's fine, but if you fall foul of one of the known faults, it will cost you a sack of money. My TDCi has been among the most expensive cars I've owned (including Lexus GS300, 3 V8 Range Rovers, 2 Discoveries, Mercedes E320 etc) and has been an object lesson to me in not to pay too much attention to the fuel economy (which, incidentally, has been less than 40mpg over three years) and look at the total operating cost.
--
All the best
David Millen

Chris Game wrote:

Have you compared that to the cost of an instrument panel for other makes? Audi perhaps ;-)
The prices of many service items are also very reasonable when compared to some others.
The generally perceived wisdom is that Vauxhall (in UK) parts are cheapest on average, closely followed by Ford.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Chris Whelan wrote:

My old Peugeot 306's speedo died. Peugeot wanted 365 for a replacement instrument cluster. I just dismantled it, and swapped the stepper motor controlling the speedo dial for the one driving the rev counter. Okay, no rev counter, but I'm fine with that - it cost me nothing.