1983 F-150 Aftermarket Fuel Gauge

Hi. Looking to find out what aftermarket fuel gauges will work on this truck. I ended up replacing the fuel tank last year because the original sending unit was not working. A buddy of mine had a tank with a working sending unit in it, so I just switched tanks. Now, when I hook the sending unit up to the original gauge, it will not read correctly. It always reads about 1/8 away below Empty, no matter how much fuel is in the tank. It was off the exact same truck, the only difference was a year or two in age between both trucks.

Before I received this truck last year, my grandfather (original owner) had a guy install a UAP aftermarket fuel gauge. This gauge was also not working, however, it would read between 3/4 and full all the time. I'm wondering if the UAP gauge is not compatible with the sending unit (I read something on the internet about the gauge having to have the same resistance specs as the original, not sure if this is true or not). I've replaced both wires from the sending unit up to the firewall and I know the sending unit works on the new tank because we checked it before the tank was removed.

Any info is appreciated. Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

resistance of tank unit has to match dash unit or it will not work--

Reply to
ced1224

Follow up. I went into NAPA Auto Parts yesterday and brought in the aftermarket UAP gauge that had been installed. The parts guy said that gauge probably would not work correctly with the sending unit in my gas tank because it was not calibrated to work with it. He said to use the UAP gauge, I would have to install the matching sending unit, which is $42. Or, install the gauge from the truck that I got the sending unit from and it may work with it since it was paired with it originally. So I think I'll go back in this morning and order one, then wait for the truck to run out of gas and keep enough with me to get back home.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky