1991 F150 "Whining" Sound

Last week, my Dad bought a used 1991 F150 Custom with the 4.9L

6-cylinder/AOD to haul stuff in from time to time. It has 99k miles on the odometer, has a pretty good body ( a few small rust spots/dents on the tailgate), but makes an annoying "whine" when starting out from a stop. The sound is similar to the sound that old British sports cars from the 50's/60's made under the same circumstances. There is also some extra play in the steering, but doesn't feel "loose" all of the time. The transmission shifts smoothly with no loud clunks. Is it the nature of this engine to "whine"? He only paid 1000 for it and it was obviously used as a work truck prior to the previous owner buying it (leftover signs of a CB/mobile radio setup), but this sound has me concerned. Any ideas out there? All help is greatly appreciated as I am very unfamiliar with the F150's.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

|Last week, my Dad bought a used 1991 F150 Custom with the 4.9L |6-cylinder/AOD to haul stuff in from time to time. It has 99k miles on |the odometer, has a pretty good body ( a few small rust spots/dents on |the tailgate), but makes an annoying "whine" when starting out from a |stop. The sound is similar to the sound that old British sports cars |from the 50's/60's made under the same circumstances. There is also |some extra play in the steering, but doesn't feel "loose" all of the |time. The transmission shifts smoothly with no loud clunks. Is it the |nature of this engine to "whine"? He only paid 1000 for it and it was |obviously used as a work truck prior to the previous owner buying it |(leftover signs of a CB/mobile radio setup), but this sound has me |concerned. Any ideas out there? All help is greatly appreciated as I |am very unfamiliar with the F150's.

Ford Power steering pumps whine. Is that what you are hearing?

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

About the whining pumps, does it help any to replace them or is just a temp fix? Mine drives me nuts.

Reply to
Cudighi

: > Rex in Fort Worth : : About the whining pumps, does it help any to replace them or is just a temp : fix? Mine drives me nuts. : My '93 F250 whined so loud that it sounded like a siren moving up and down the scale as the automatic rowed through the gears, straight from the dealership. I made them replace it right away, of course, and they put on a much quieter one, but there continued to be an audible whine at any speed, for the next 10 years.

My new 2003 V10 F250 whines too, but I can only hear it in the first 2 gears.

I suppose, then, that you can replace it until you get a quieter one....

Dave

Reply to
David Ward

|: > Rex in Fort Worth |: |: About the whining pumps, does it help any to replace them or is just a temp |: fix? Mine drives me nuts.

New ones are generally quieter, especially the reman units. I think they must adress that in the rebuilding process. ATP also makes an additive that they claim will stop it. I have not tried it, but I think it probably would help. ATP is pretty good about living up to their claims. At any rate, I'll buy a dose and report back. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B