DIY "ladder rack" for my canoe?

Greetings: I just bought a new canoe, Old Town Guide 147. It's 14.5 feet long and weighs 74 pounds. I'm looking for a cheap and easy way to carry it in my '01 Ranger Extra Cab. Can someone point me in a direction where I can see a set of plans (or maybe someone here has similar) to build a couple wood "ladder rack" supports which will fit into the stake holes and support the canoe? Perhaps even something that sits inside the bed would work, too. Basically, I don't want anything permanent, nor do I want to start drilling holes in my side rails. (Not to mention, I don't want to spend several hundred on some fancy name brand Swedish get-up). Thanks!

Reply to
DonBeppino

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 13:47:12 -0700, DonBeppino rearranged some electrons to say:

Throw a blanket on top of the cab, close the tailgate, put the back of the canoe in the bed and lay the front on top of the cab. Tie a rope from the front bumper to the front of the canoe.

Reply to
david

You know, I thought about that. But it sticks up way too high. I'm concerned about the sail effect and how much pressure that will put on the ties. Hell, maybe I'll actually try it. But instead of a blanket, I'll use those little foam block things.

Reply to
DonBeppino

Pick up some 2x2's or 2x4's, measure it out, and make 2 or 3 racks like this: _________ | / \ | | / \ | | |

Make one for each set of stake holes, making the rear-most one slightly higher than the front one. Might work. . .

-- SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

You know, I thought about that. But it sticks up way too high. I'm concerned about the sail effect and how much pressure that will put on the ties. Hell, maybe I'll actually try it. But instead of a blanket, I'll use those little foam block things.

Something to consider ...

The foam blocks are abrasive agaisnt the paint.

I just scrolled up to read that you are using a Ranger. That's not a good thing for your canoe, mostly due to the fact that the canoe is almost as long as your truck. I think that the idea of tying the bow to the bu7mper may not work very well, for pretty much the same reasons as you are concerned about.

I think you will find that a roof rack is the way to go. Perhaps a trip to eBay or Craig's List is in your future. My guess is that you're going to need the boat to be loaded flat, and upside down, on the roof, with straps from the bow and the stern to the respective bumper, and bungees holding the boat to the rack.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I was in my local Ace Hardware store yesterday, and they have stakes for building stake-sides fences. Since the stakes are made of a hardwood, as opposed to soft wood used for building projects, they might be a better choice for just a few dollars more.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Heck, get yourself some 1 1/2 or 2" PVC, fittings and let 'er rip! I'm sure you can fabrict something. Use something to hold it down to the bed however!

Reply to
PeterD

Thanks, all: I actually found a carrier which will bolt to the hitch ball hole in the rear step bumper. It rises up to form a "goal post" type of support which swivels allowing you to load one end of the canoe, pick up the other end and walk it around to the roof, where I'll have a single bar attached. Here it is here if anyone is interested:

DonBeppino

Crap, why didn't any of us figure that solution out?

Reply to
PeterD