Roof Rack for 28' ladder

I found some information in this ng about RX300 roof rack usage, and found that they are primarily designed for bike rack or ski rack attachments. Lets say I have a 28' extension ladder that I want to transport for 15 miles, how can it be securely attached to the roof rack? What tools are required, and, is there a kit available somewhere for this purpose? I suppose I could attach my thule bike rack during this procedure to use as an extra rear tie down point since the roof rack bars are only offset by about 2.5 feet (i havent measured the difference, just a guess) and would not offer too much stability.

TIA, Fish

Reply to
Fish

I would wrap the ladder in a blanket where it contacts the roof rack so that it doesn't scratch the rack. You can use rope or bungee cords to secure the ladder to the rack. Spread the front and rear bars on the rack as far apart as possible. Use rope to secure the ladder to the front tow hooks under the front bumper and to the chain hook-ups on the rear hitch. Make the front and rear ropes tight enough to make sure the ladder doesn't lift off of the rack but not so tight that you buckle body panels. Make sure you protect the body paint wherever the rope contacts the paint because it can leave marks on the paint.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray O, it makes sense. Your reply was well thought out.

Fish

Reply to
fish

You're welcome! I also have a 28' aluminum extension ladder and have transported it many times on top of many different vehicles. I've probably lent it out more than I've used it myself!

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
GLitwinski

I will be careful. I realize that securing the ladder will be the most important task, then I could even take the surface streets to my destination.

Reply to
fish

UPDATE:

I moved the ladder by putting it inside my 2001 Honda civic sedan! imagine that, and i would never have beleived it if i hadnt seen it. it hung out the back end by about 5 or 6 feet, but otherwise it was stable during the drive.

my wife insisted that i not use her rx300 to transport the ladder, so i had to find another way.

Fish.

Reply to
fish