Bestop hinged roof rack, 1995 YJ, used for canoe hauling

Binaries posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4.

I am installing a Bestop hinged roof rack, with universal sliding rack mount, on my 1995 YJ. I am primarily going to use it in the immediate future for hauling a canoe around, so I haven't installed the sliders or baskets yet. I did put two sliders on so you can see what they look like. The only install problem was the lack of bumper mounting bolt shims. This is a problem if your bumper installs with eight bolts, as the roof rack rear mounting brackets sandwich between the frame and outer bumper using only two bolts on each side. The inner bumper has to be shimmed to the same thickness. Shims can be readily made with locally available materials, as shown in one of the photos. Also the bottom straps for my Tomken bumper had to be lengthened. This all was necessary because the bumper doubles as a tow hitch, and I wanted it mounted right.

I was thinking of bolting wood planks on top of a pair of sliders/cross bars for canoe mounting, but foam blocks seem to work just fine sitting right on top of the frame bars. There is also a shot of Free Sole shoe repair product used to repair a cracked fender flare.

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to