F250 oil pressure question

I have an 89 F250 diesel with a banks turbo and 60K miles on it. Nice truck.

Recently, I was towing 9000 lbs of trailer across the Appalachians, and my oil pressure went from the bottom of the "low" of normal to just above the lowest mark...way below normal. I immediately pulled to the side and killed the engine, but the oil level was fine and the oil looked and smelled normal and since there was nothing obvious to fix, I finished the trip.

Once home, I replaced the oil sensor sender with a pressure gauge, and found the oil pressure to be 30psi at cruising RPM (2500rpm) and dropped to 10psi at idle. I changed the oil (15w40 Shell rotella before and after the change), and the pressure went to 32psi at cruise and 20psi at idle.

The oil pressure sensor is NOT where it was when the truck was first manufactured, but is now part of the Banks turbo retrofit: it is located at the end of a 1/4" oil supply tube that feeds the turbo.

So, do I have a problem? Is the pressure too low? The guy that drove the first 40K miles on this truck used it to pull a big boat, but nothing outside the capability of this truck. Could the oil pump be going out? The engine runs fine, doesn't smoke, pulls strong. I've read the procedure for replacing the oil pump, and it sounds like a big job...any other suggestions?

Reply to
Gonzo

Gonzo,

The BEST place to ask this question, or research it to see if anyone has posted about a similar situation is at this site:

SOMEBODY there will probably know about it if it's a known issue with this engine. Good Luck

Reply to
websurfer

Diesels typically do not run the high oil pressures gas engines run. Volume is much more critical. My question would be how hot did the turbo get? If your pulling 9000 pounds across mountains on a vehicle with an add on turbo kit, I would want a pyrometer on it, they measure exhaust temp at the turbo, which is a good indicator of if things are getting a bit too warm.. I wouldn't mind seeing an oil temp gauge ether.

I have always preferred Chevron Delo 400 over Rotella.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Obviously without being there... I will just toss out a few things.

Number one, you are running a true mechanical oil gauge on board correct? The silly IDIOT factory Ford oil pressure gauge is basically nearly useless.

You realize that working your engine hard, even without the "extra heat" producing abilities of the banks add-ons, will greatly increase the temperature of your engine oil, reducing it's viscosity, dropping your oil pressure. The viscosity of engine oil has a direct effect on engine oil pressure. Oil pressure is also affected by temperature.

I would suggest that if those are your true oil pressure readings, when hot and working really hard the working pressure would lie somewhere in-between. I would certainly suggest you replace the oil pump.

Finally engine oil pressure is produced between the crankshaft, and crankshaft bearings. If the rest of your oiling system and your monitoring system is fully functional, you may have to start looking in this area.

Good Luck

Reply to
351CJ

Hi, WhiteLightning.

Thanks for the helpful reply!

Yes, I have a pyro: the exhaust temp was never above 600 degrees F, and coolant temp was never above the lowest quarter of the temp range. When I stopped, nothing under the hood was unusually hot or smoking.

The oil supply to the banks turbo is a 1/4" braided stainless line that runs from the side of the crank, across the exhaust manifold (!?!?!?) with a heat-shield to protect it from the worst of the heat, to a splitter where the pressure sensor is located.

I'm guessing the gauge on the dash is, in fact, a real sensor and not as some folks have suggested a glorified idiot light. I base this guess on the fact that the gauge has registered a variety of pressures, not merely halfway-or-off.

The question is, is 30psi at the input to the banks turbo too low? I know the oil pressure is supposed to be between 40 and 70 psi, but where is that sensor located?

And why, Whitelightning, do you prefer Delo 400?

--JKEdward

Reply to
Gonzo

If it is a factory Ford oil pressure gauge, it is indeed an idiot gauge, the signal is dampened, not just off and on.

Reply to
351CJ

I really dont know for sure on this rig you have. I know the big trucks I have driven

30-35 psi is about average, and I've driven old Detroit 2 strokes that only had 20psi. I looked at Banks web page and didnt see anything about oil pressure, which is wierd. the 600 degrees strikes me as wierd too, seems low for pulling a load up a grade, I would expect to see someting in the upper 800 to 1,200 degrees F, even as much as 1,300 degrees Even if your sensor is a foot behind the turbo, 600 degress seem low..

Almost a million miles driving commercial rigs, Cats, Cummins, Detroits, and Macks as well as Whites back when White built engines and even Continentals. I've always had good luck with Chevron oils and the Delo 400 has been great since its inception. Funny, cause I cant stand Chevron fuels, gas or diesel. Engines I have worked on running Delo just seem to be cleaner inside, and have less wear. Oil seems to hold up longer based on oil sample analysis reports on fleet trucks. it took me a while to trust a multi-grade oil for diesels, I've always been a 30w CD rated oil user. But the fuel savings, and lower wear found in bearings and cylinders made a believer out of me. Last out fit I worked for also used the Delo in Thermoking Reefers, there is a set up that will test anything for weakness. Running them on cycle sentry, they might start 20-30 times a day. Small 4 cyl Isuzu diesel engine. Other times they run constant but much of it at an idle, then kick in to governed max, back to idle. All depends on what's in the box as to how its set to run. Produce needs constant air flow, meat, ice cream, doesn't. In the end its probably just IMHO, but its worked for me. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning