Question About 2000 F250 Diesel

I just saw a 2000 F250 with the diesel motor in it. The truck looked to be in good shape. The only hitch is the fact the truck has 74,000 or so miles
on it. Is this a concern for the diesel motor?
On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 01:15:29 GMT, "Dixie Normous"

If it has been properly cared for, it is just coming into it's prime. With any care at all, it should go 300K while the body rots around it - not a kick on Ford bodies as much as it is a fact that most Diesels will well outlast the vehicle if cared for.
That's not even broke in. My 2000 F250 PSD has 152,000 and going stronger than ever. For real world answers from real Ford (actually International) diesels and not from Windstar owners go to www.thedieselstop.com and look thru the forums.

Not at all, I have an 88 F250 with the 7.3 litre in-direct-injection and it has 367 000 kms on it and still runs strong. Don't let that stop you.
OK. Thanks...how is the mileage on that particular model? I know, I know, if you buy a truck, dont ask about mileage, but it is one of my concerns. Like I said, I just spotted it and was wondering what someone who drives it thinks.
What about maintenance? Other things about diesels that are quirky compared to gas engines?
Here in Upstate NY, it does get a bit nippy....

it

in-direct-injection and

you.
If you don't want to worry about the coolant additive or the test strips, go to http://www.evanscooling.com/main23.htm
One other thing: What is the acceleration like? Is this thing sluggish? Will it get out of it's own way? Would I have to put my foot into the floor to pass?
Any info from owners would be great

it
My '99 F350 4X4 Dually with the 7.3PSD is very strong on acceleration.
Spdloader

Barely broke in. If the coolant additive has been properly maintained, that is. Go over and read about coolant additives and such on www.thedieselstop.com. The engine is warrantied for 100k, you have some time to find any engine problems. Before purchase, either buy a strip and test the coolant, or take it somewhere and have it tested. Just because the coolant has proper additive doesn't mean it always has had it, but it is up to you as to what you wish to assume.
yea, that is a big concern .at 74k miles, that motor is not even broken in yet. they regularly go 300-400k miles with good maintainance
Falcoon wrote:

No problem for the motor, however, the transmission is prolly ready to go (if it is an automatic).
"Rob Munach

Not true. 152,000 on mine and still is fine. Lots of them out there well over 200,000 miles.
I just had my transmission go out of my 2001 7.3 at 72,000. No problems, then it would not shift from 1st to 2nd; a clutch fell apart and spread parts all over the transmission.
Is this a common problem with the automatics?
Fred

yes
one-way clutch for the intermediate (2nd) clutches seizes up and engine torque destroys it

to be

miles
The motor isn't even broken in yet.

Site Timeline