F250

I have a 2000 F250 SD with the diesel engine. I live in the Florida panhandle, and it does not get too terribly cold around here. I've seen some guys warm up diesel engines for 10 minutes or more while I've seen others just crank up and start driving. How long should I let it warm up in the morning before I drive it?

Reply to
Robert C. Denny

A diesel engine doesn't warm up very well just sitting at idle. All you need to do is wait for the oil to reach its normal pressure, which might take a minute. Then drive gently for a mile or two until the engine is fully warm before pulling high rpm's or doing hard acceleration.

Reply to
XLanManX

if it is running ,you can drive it. i only wait 1 min or so to let it clear up and run on all 8 before pulling out. i do not want to wake anyone else up at 4 am. my 7.3 has 450,000 on it and still going strong. i do the same thing with my macks, some with over 1 million miles on them

Reply to
Falcoon

I wait till my glow plugs finish "cycling" About 1-2 min. then I'm off. You can tell when your glow plugs have finished by watching your volt meter.

Reply to
JSMMV