95 F250 Turbo diesel transmission question

My son was looking at a 1995 F250 Turbo Diesel with an automatic transmission.

He test drove the truck the other day and all seemed ok. When he went back to test it again he had the following occur.

He put the truck in park. Turned it off. Turned it back on, put the truck in Drive and gave it the gas and the truck didn't go anywhere like it was still in neutral. After some playing with the gear shifter, giving it gas, waiting a few seconds after placing it in drive we were finally able to get it going. Obviously, he didn't purchase it, but I'm curious if anyone knows what the extent of the problem is or will become?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
mmaral

Jees how many miles? Could be as easy as the front pump in the transmission cavitating due to a lack of service.

Have a great one!

Bush

Reply to
Bush

It has 250k. The whole thing sounds a little fishy. The guy selling the truck is pretty knowledgeable about diesels and such. He first mentioned to us that he hadn't had any problems with it then when we brought this up he stated that yeah it does that once in awhile.

He also mentioned that he has had the truck for the past year, but the registration only shows him owning it since Sept.

It couldn't tell us when he had last changed oil or coolent.

Too many red flags.

mark

Reply to
mmaral

Carfax may be useful. My boss is looking for a used car and 2 out of 3 cars he looked at (found listed in the paper) had large mileage discrepancies vs carfax. Can't remember details, but when he asked questions like "where'd that dent come from" or when the oil was changed, the guy dodged saying "oh, this is my wife's car".. Anyway, it appears that there are several people (in Dallas area anyway) who deal in used cars and are trying to pass themselves off as the original or 2nd owner. Not sure if this is common or if he was just "lucky" to find these guys...

Reply to
bobby