Jerky braking

I have a 2003 F-150 4x4. Only 20,000 miles on it because it was in storage for a year and I either walk to work or take a bus.

Periodically, I feel a pulsation or vibration in my brake pedal every time I stop, particularly when stopping from high speeds. But the brakes seem to work fine. Some internet research indicates a warped rotor or an out-of-round drum. My last two oil changes and 'brake inspections' have indicated that both front and rear brakes are fine, but of course they never took the truck out for a test drive so obviously the sensation I am feeling cannot be detected visually.

Gee, I hate to get break work done at only 20,000 miles but does anybody detect anything really wrong here? Am I playing with my life? It has been doing this for several months now. Would the storage of year and not using the breaks have and adverse effects on them?

Reply to
Douglas

On Mon, 07 May 2007 16:12:33 -0700, Douglas rearranged some electrons to form:

Warped rotors are a possible cause. Take it somewhere that can check for this. Your local oil change kid is not the right place.

Reply to
David M

It's possible the grease on the caliper slides has dried up. That can also cause the symptoms you're describing. Get some white lithium and re-lube them and see if that helps. Also, check you're rotors for any rust or a rusty-looking spot about the size of a brake pad. You don't say where you live, but high humidity (like here along the coast) can cause bad things to a vehicle that sits up.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

I only ever take my truck to a Ford dealer. Thats why I figured if two different dealers gave my jerky breaks a clean bill of health then there can't be anything seriously wrong.

But me thinks if I ask them to take a closer look next time I'm quite sure they will find something.

Reply to
Douglas

Try backing off the wheel nuts and then retighten to proper torque in the proper sequence.

Reply to
RJ

I also vote for the rust on the rotors. I'm assuming you don't drive the truck much. If it is rust, you should vigorously ignore it. Somebody in this group might tell you spend some time and money trying to stop them from rusting, but you should resist them.

Reply to
Joe

If you feel it in the pedal and / or steering wheel, it's probably front rotor warpage. Take it to a reputable shop, not the dealer, and have them checked and then machined. Left unchecked the vibration when braking will cause other front end problems, like ruining the wheel hub assemblies, and front end components.

Don't "ignore it vigorously", like another reply suggested. It will not go away. If you do, it'll cost you more in the long run.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Your likely have warped rotors. When they get hot they warp more and as they warp more they get more hot spots which make it warp more still and causes brakes to chatter like you are seeing. It is the worst when brakes are hot. SInce you farm out work anyway I suggest you take it too a good brake shop and get front rotors replaced no turned because if they are warped when you turn them to flatten them you will have differences in thickness in rotor which will lead to future warpage. This is not a rare problem. A non dealer brake shop would likely be cheaper than dealer and may do a better job because brakes are their bread and butter while it is not a dealers main roll.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Yeah, i got a 95 f`150, and it was sitting for a good 2 months during that time it didnt leave my driveway. Now that its on the road again, i felt the same thing, my rotors and drums are fine. The problem seems to be getting better slowly. It could be your brake lines. Try bleeding them, That should definately work if your rotors and drums are fine. Try using brake cleaner on the drums and rotors, just to clean them off, it could help.

Reply to
Mike