2003 F-150 starter problem?

Happens intermittently. I get in, insert key, turn on ignition, and nothing. Just a 'click' and it won't start. Dashboard lights are all on so it's not a battery problem. I can say it has only happened in cold weather, after it has been sitting all night or all day. After 3-4 minutes of trying and trying it will suddenly start. Happened twice yesterday (early morning, late at night) after not happening for about a year.

17,000 miles on it. 4.6 L V8, 4x4
Reply to
Doogie

Make sure the battery clamps and post are clean, not just by looking at them but take them off and clean them.

Dashboard lites don't tell you if your battery is ok, they will come on at

10 volts but that wont start the engine

When the starter clicks, do the dashlites dim ???

Reply to
JohanB

Try cleaning and tightening the spade connector for the ignition wire at the starter solenoid. You may have to remove the heat shield to see it. Coat it with a high silicon grease or similar substance to reduce corrosion in the future. This has been a common problem since they changed to this system.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Any chance the Passive Anti-Theft System's acting wonky?

I've got an '04 with a remote starter that occasionally ('bout once a month, but more so when it's really cold outside) refuses to start until I go outside and actually put the key in the ignition. Frankly, I don't have the slightest idea why it does it, but I've always had an instinctive sense it was the PATS not playing nice-nice with the remote starter.

Maybe you've got something similar going on?

/shrugs

Reply to
StreetMedic