Ball joints on 1995 F-150 4x4

Hey Ford mechs. I have a problem and a what-if fix. I have a 1995 F-150 Ford supercab 4x4. Approx 150,000 miles. Ball joints on rh side are going bad. I have hub,spindle and driveshaft out and nuts loose on ball joints. Still trying to get the studs out of the axle so I can take off the knuckle and press out old joints and press in new. After soaking with rust buster I've tried the ford books rubber mallet, and deadblow hammer route, but no go. I've tried some heat and hand sledge action but still no go. WHAT IF I used a sawzall and cut the ball joint studs below where they go into the axle yoke and pressed out the cutoff studs? Good idea bad Idea? Any ideas ?

Reply to
woodcutter

Use a two pound hammer, and hit the axle on the end immediately beside of the stud, hitting it sideways. Hit it hard a time or two.

Leave the nut on the bottom ball joint loose so the spindle won't drop on your foot.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Well, did you get them out?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Reply to
woodcutter

I've had 'em that tight before, it's not a lot of fun. Glad you got it out.

Later,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

had one on a 99 Taurus once that I'd put the press onto, wouldn't budge, cranked it down as far as I dared, put a bit of heat on it, still no go, hit the center bolt on the puller with a big-assed hammer and thought I'd been shot.......looked up and both dogs were 'asses and tails'-ing it out the door

watchdogs my ass,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reply to
TranSurgeon

looked up and both dogs were 'asses and tails'-ing it out the door

watchdogs my ass,,,,,,,,,,,,, ============ ============ Gary, after fubaring the first Taurus controll arm using a pickle fork.....I improved the SnapOn dudes chances of retireing early and purchased a puller to bust those Taurus/Sable type studs loose with.

At first, I justified the cost using frustration as a gage.

Now, I figure it's paid for itself in busted knuckles alone. Just looking at that 5lb knuckle buster and picklefork sends chills down my back.

Reply to
Marsh Monster

...now that was funny.

I've got a 119lb German Shepard that's huge, and ferocious looking. He'll challenge anyone that comes in the yard, but you let a thunderstorm come up, and he's in my wife's LAP.

lol

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader