Req: assistance with final installation of remote entry/start/security system

I'm requesting assistance in diagnosing an installation problem. I purchased a genuine Ford security/remote start system #1L3Z-19G354-CA to install in my 1999 F-150.

Using the installation guide, I then purchased from my local Ford dealer the PATS interface kit. (The dealer looked up the part #.)

Other than getting myself into some unbelievable positions, I completed the installation.

The testing procedures all checked out until I got to the section (page 46) to program the PATS system.

There are 10 steps. (I'll repeat them here as a FYI.) A. Sitting in the driver seat, be prepared to press the brake pedal to shut down the remote starter system. B. Using the first key, turn the ignition on, wait for the security light to turn off and then turn the ignition key off. C. Using the second key, turn the ignition on, wait for the security light to turn off and then turn the ignition key off. D. Press and hold start on the remote control transmitter for one second. (The system should flash the parking lights and chirp the siren/horn one time, pause for four seconds and then start then start the engine.) The double "then start" is actually in the manual. E. After the engine is started. Press the brake pedal to shutdown the engine.

I assume that "security light" is the thief light on the engine cluster.

Anyway, steps A, B, and C are done OK. When step D is attempted the parking lights don't flash and the siren/horn chirps TWICE. Nothing else happened.

There is no error codes list in the instructions. Since I didn't have a FAX available (that appears the only way I could even attempt to contact FORD about the problem), I decided to wait until I got back home.

Once home, I went through the steps again. This time the siren/horn chirps 4 times.

Can someone provide me with hints as to the problem and a source of an error code list?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob