04 LaSabre speedo

Hi,
I am an infrequent visitor here but I hope you can help me out. The needle on the speedo in my 04 LaSabre is not returning to 0 mph. the speedo seems to work relative to where the needle is until it tops out
way past the marked range of mph. if I turn the car off, the needle kicks back 5 -7- mph and eventually I can get it to 0 mph but as soon as it runs, it stays at the highest mph I went. it seems like there is a ratchet/pawl mechanism that is not releasing but I doubt that is a cause. The tach did the same thing for a short while last week but it is back to normal.
any thought/suggestions would be welcomed. thanks for your time, peter
The head will have to come out for repair/ exchange.

-
Shep wrote:

tia, peter

removal...on impala= very simple. remove trim bezel and then remove cluster. i cant imagine that buick is any more difficult.........home brew repairs? i cant imagine that either....kjun
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention
peter wrote:

Isn't an 04 model likely still under warranty?

Yes, if you are a little old lady that drives to church on Sunday. My 3 year 36000 mile ran out in about 18 months. Guess one reason I didn't buy another Buick last year.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

jcr wrote:

as a courtesy, but they gave me the impression i would be whacked...guess where i will not buy another car :)
peter wrote:

in my experience with the latest rebirth of impala (1st genre = 00 to 04), i found this many times. if i unhooked the battery power all would return to normal for a very short time........removal of cluster and shipped for repairs is all i found for long living repair........i have had noone give me an answer as to why this happens, just a bill at dealer.....kjun....
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention
Kjun wrote:

speed sensor on the tranny...i'll try both and i also thought of asking a speedo shop.
details, if any, to follow. peter

i work with a several hundred car fleet and in the 00 to 04 impala i ran into MANY cases of speedo stuck at many miles per hour with the key in my pocket......unhooked battery, speedo returned to zero when key turned on, symptoms reappeared within a few miles..............