Am I missing something here?????!!!!!

Over £200 for a bent valve? Or have I read something wrong here?!!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yes, it's one valve, and one bent valve. Two valves in all.

"With use of lots of heat and a very large hammer, I'm sure it could be straightened and used again."

Eeek! Wonder what Dave Plowman would have to say about that! Dave?

"These are sodium filled and all the sodium has leaked out."

Why has it leaked out? AFAIK, sodium (in metallic form) was put into a hollow tube inside the valve (exhaust only?). When it gets really hot, the sodium melts, and transfers heat away from the valve head. I'd have thought the sodium has leaked out because the valves are shagged?

"I'm told that salt is a good alternative so will need filling with salt and the hole welding up. "

I'm told it's an alternative, but Sodium is better.

The odd thing is that it's for _any_ 24v Carlton or Senator. I could probably go to the scrappy and pick up an entire car with 24 valves for 50 quid!

Overall, I think we've both missed something!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

it's for the valve :) I can't wait to see what the bid increments were that went from 50p to £202 :)

04

Reply to
dojj

Do you get the feeling that the highest bidder intended to bid £2.02 and is going to get a shock when they realise what's happened?

Reply to
David Linley

the thought had crossed my mind :) but then, the question "why?" also popped up when I first saw it surely you can MAKE a valve that's cheaper than that

Reply to
dojj

here?!!

could be

Who would want to risk fitting it in an engine?

with salt

Plus retruing the shaft to remove the excess weld.

I know sodium filled valves are expensive, but paying over £200 for 2 knackered ones, that could wreck any engine the're fitted to, does seems over the top to say the least. Maybe we are all missing something. Stupidity? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

must be a joke??????????????

Reply to
Marty

So it is! You're the Acorn nutter, not the engine nutter :-)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Yes - that's me. I keep trying to run these security patches that everyone sends me by e-mail, but none of them seem to do anything. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman