Speedy ...I hope you are out there...

Ladies/Gents,

I am having some difficulty replacing a 72SB column-mounted switch wiper assembly with a 71SB dash-mounted switch assembly...Everything looks pretty straight-forward but it still doesn't work...I am getting power to all 4 connectors on the wiper motor but it still doesn't turn

After researching the issue on Speedy's site, this is what I did:

The 71 and 72 each have 5 wires. Unfortunately, they have different terminal numbers so this is what I did.

Bk/Y to Bk/Y (53b to 53b) Bk to Bk (53 to 53) Green to Brown (31b to 53e) Bk/white to Bk/violet (53a to 53a) ground

According to diagrams, it would seem to be correct but obviously I am missing something.

I was hoping someone can help. Juan

Reply to
Juan

You rang??

Unfortunately, the switches cannot be interchanged *unless* an internal wiring modification is made to the wiper assy.

Look at the Column switch diagram. The "Park" contact is from 53 to 53e.

On the Dash switch diagram, the cam contact 31b goes thru the wiper switch, not direct to ground.

If you can find the term 31 wire from the cam switch and bring it out separately, then it will work. (Jumper 31b to 53 on the motor).

You can NOT rewire the Park contact (31b-31) on the dash switch because 31 is grounded right at the switch housing.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

You rang??

Unfortunately, the switches cannot be interchanged *unless* an internal wiring modification is made to the wiper assy.

Look at the Column switch diagram. The "Park" contact is from 53 to 53e.

On the Dash switch diagram, the cam contact 31b goes thru the wiper switch, not direct to ground.

If you can find the term 31 wire from the cam switch and bring it out separately, then it will work. (Jumper 31b to 53 on the motor).

You can NOT rewire the Park contact (31b-31) on the dash switch because 31 is grounded right at the switch housing.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Wow! That was quick...Thank you..

Good information...Quick question though: Can I just pull the motor off the 71 assembly and slap it onto the 72 assembly? (The motor on the 72 assembly is beat) ..I was hoping to just do a quick wiring adjustment and replace the whole assembly. But it looks like my plans will have to change...On to Plan B..

Thanks again Juan

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
Juan

Wow! That was quick...Thank you..

Good information...Quick question though: Can I just pull the motor off the 71 assembly and slap it onto the 72 assembly? (The motor on the 72 assembly is beat) ..I was hoping to just do a quick wiring adjustment and replace the whole assembly. But it looks like my plans will have to change...On to Plan B..

Thanks again Juan

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
Juan

Frankly, I don't know if the '71 assy will just slap onto the '72 frame.

Try it, I guess. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim