1995 CAPRICE 9C1

I was wondering if anyone knew where i could buy a remaned engine that has more horsepower than the stock specs. My 5.7 is getting tired and is smoking, and wanted the horsepower rating of a marauder. Also, is it true that the motor in my car is a "vette" engine. People always tell me that, but can someone please tell me the differences between the vette engine and the impala ss/caprice motor.

Reply to
john

There are a few things you could do with that engine. It would really depend on what $$$ and what kind of backyard mechanic you are.

You are looking at (most likely) a ring problem, with smoke and a fuel injected engine. If you already know (or have friends who can recommend) a reputable shop, you can have them tear down the engine, overbore it slightly (not only give a slight power increase, but really for making sure the cylinders are true).

Other than that, your car is actually generating more torque (twisting ability) than the Mercury Marauder engine (est 287 bhp by Car and Driver Magazine). Actually, Car and Driver seemed to suggest that there is nothing wrong with the Marauder that the Chevy 350 can't fix. They like the torque, which is a factor in aceleration. Horsepower is a function of torque, not the other way around.

The engine is very closely related to the 'Vette engine, in that the block is the same. The computer is programmed differently, and other differences are probably there, I'm just not certain of them (ie, fuel injectors, intake, cam, etc.)

Vuarra

Vuarra