1995 Monte Carlo brake/park interlock

My 1995 Monte Carlo has been having problems shifting from park once the brake is applied. The button on the T-handle refuses to depress (shifter is console mounted). This only occurs sporadically - one day
it's smooth as silk, the next you fiddle with it for a moment before it works, the next day it seems it may never get out of park - the day after that, smooth as silk again (????). Once out of park, all other functions of the shifter work as normal (neutral safety, gear indicator, etc.).
I do have the factory service manual, but don't find a section on any brake interlock cable or switch - I do see a section on a park interlock function, but it makes no mention of the relation to the brake pedal.
Any thoughts? If it's in there, can someone point me to the correct procedure for adjustments in the factory service manual?
Thanks,
John

emergency brake BEFORE shifting into Park next time you stop. Then try moving from Park to Drive (or Reverse, as the situation calls for) BEFORE releasing the emerg. brake. s

That would be the case if the problem was pulling it out of park, but the problem he is having invloves not being able to push the button to shift. I am having the same problem with my '95 Monte, but the manuals are all very unclear as to how the system works and where the components are.
Steve Mackie wrote:

Aha! Where were you guys yesterday? ;-)
As it turns out, I came across the answer in the electrical section of the manual - nowhere close to the transmission section or interior section.
There are two items that work in conjunction: The brake light switch itself, and the BTSI (Brake Transmission Shift Interlock) Solenoid. The switch is $5-10 at the local auto parts store, the BTSI looks to be a dealer only part.
I replaced the brake switch yesterday (pain in the back), and the button still seems "notchy" - time for the BTSI to come out. The BTSI is located under the console, but the service manual seems to indicate that you can remove the shifter handle and then carefully (from the back) pry up the panel the shifter goes through. I'll tear into it this afternoon.
Steve, if you need more in-depth info or pics to help fix your car, let me know.

What page?

Yes, you can easily do that.

Photos aren't necessary, but let me know how it goes and what the part is worth.
Steve Mackie wrote:

Steve, I don't have the manuals with me at this point, but I took a look at it during my break and already have it "fixed" for now. Once you pry off the cover, you'll see exactly what needs to be done.

I simply disconnected the solenoid (purple / black connection). It's smooth as silk, but you can switch into any gear at any time. I don't have children riding in the car, so I'm safe for now. I have to be on the road early tomorrow and was going to be stressed for time tonight trying to fix this. As it stands, I'm done with it for now until I'm back from my trip.
Just remove the T-handle by gently prying out the metal pin on the front of the "T" with a flat-blade screwdriver then gently pry up on the back of the panel that the shifter goes through. There are four clips holding it on - two at the back and one on each side. When it comes up, you'll have a bulb connection for the gear selector readout (twist and pull) and then you'll also have to disconnect the cigarette lighter (spread and pull). You'll see the BTSI solenoid (small canister) near the front - reconnect the T-handle and press the button, you'll see what's causing the bind.
Good luck!

Excellent, I'll take a look, see if it's repairable.
Bastards, gotta buy the whole shifter for $268CDN. Looks like I'll try to fix it or disconnect it all together.

Took a look. I have decided that I am WAY too lazy to rip that all apart and try to lubicat it. So I did like you, I unplugged it. Now you don't have to press the brake to shift from park, but the ignition still has to be in "RUN".
Steve

I see you've been busy since I last checked in ;-)
Yep, that's the way to do it - disconnect it. Another "we at GM did this to protect you, but once it fails you can't drive the car at all" safety feature, VATS, left me stranded several times until I finally figured out how to disable it. I haven't needed a towtruck since. I still want to replace the BTSI solenoid if possible - when it comes time to sell the car, I don't need a lawsuit six months down the road from the new owner because it shifted out of gear and ran over someone. At least it is locked once in park and the key is removed.
Pity I may have to buy a new shifter, though. It might be time for a trip to the salvage yard next week.