1996 Caprice, 171,000, 1500$, good deal ??

Hi, i'm looking into getting my first car, but i have no idea if this is a good deal.
Its a 1996 caprice with the police package, 4.3l v8, 200hp, 171 000
miles
-the transmission was redone in dec. 2002, he says it should be checked -parts that were changed: radiator, brakes, rear brake disks, alternator, water pump, ball joints, steering box, radiator fan motor -master cylinder is new -front windshield is cracked
he goes on to say that he has the pinions to install a 3:42, it is currently a 3:23, and i have no idea what that means.
the guy wants 1500$ US for it does this seem like a good deal ? i'll read what anybody has to say, thanks
Hello Sean, I'm not sure about the price and such, I have had several used Police cars over the years and found them to be excellent value. I am not sure why he wants you to have the transmission checked if it was just redone a year ago, but that suggestion sends up the flag to make sure you take it to a good mechanic and have it checked over good, such as a 200 point inspection. Beware of the mechanics who will not give you an unbiased opinion, some people including mechanics have no appreciation of the value of a used Police Car. In most cases, they are well maintained, driven hard, but built to take it. I'm not sure about your area of the world but where I live, approxiamately 75% of our taxicabs are used Police Cars. If they are such a bad deal, why do the taxi companies buy them, drive them hard, 24 hours a day and they last many years, I have seen many with over 700,000 kms (42,000 miles). Do your homework, have it checked, don't be suprised or discouraged if it needs a little work, in most cases you are getting good reliable safe transportation... Good Luck, Steve