20 W 50 Usage

What would on use 20 W 50 motor oil in?
I found an unopened case ( circa 1998 ) in my uncles garage.
Both his cars used 5 W 30 and the 88 Kawasakis used 10 W 40. At least
that's what the dealer recently installed in it.
Only other things in the garage with motors were a lawnmower & snowblower and it can't be for those.
harryface
It can be used in a almost any car. A while back, i heard 20-50 was for something with a high RPM engine or small high rpm engine, but i have used that oil oin my old nissan pickup that passed away from me @ over 240,000 miles and about 30 oil changes in my driveway.
i have used it in my 3.1 liter 6 cyl buick too.
You know, a thicker oil is good for the high temps, and a 5 would be thinner and so called easier starts on the engine in COLD weather............
i would use that stuff anytime.
Harry Face wrote:

Works great in most Harleys ...
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"

Probably for the Kaw's. Although lighter oils are recommended by the mfgr, many bikers use 20w50....including myself.
Dave

My concern would be shelflife. Then, applications for it if usable.
--
Jonny

Shelflife really isnt a problem for oil which has not been opened and which has been stored under reasonable conditions.
Many products are given a shelflife date, not because there is an actual problem but, because the companies which produce them want a limit on liability.
I use it in my Harley, and the surplus from a 5 qt. jug is the right amount for my lawn tractor. Summer use in the mower, I switch to 10-30 for winter plowing.
Harry Face wrote:

Lot's of old school thinking folks ran 20W-50 in almost everything. Personally I wouldn't use it in US road condition driving in any car made in the past 20 years.
John
I've used 20w50 in vehicles but not recently. I used to switch to it in hot weather but since I began using synthetic oil, I run 5w50 year-round. As for 10w40, it's my understanding that most manufacturers aren't offering it anymore (not sure why).
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Re: 20 W 50 Usage Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Tue, Oct 17, 2006, 5:27pm (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (JohnHorner) Harry Face wrote: What would on use 20 W 50 motor oil in? Lot's of old school thinking folks ran 20W-50 in almost everything. Personally I wouldn't use it in US road condition driving in any car made in the past 20 years. John
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~
I used to run it in several of my high performance small block chevy engines in the summer If your afraid to run it in your car I'd use it in a lawn mower or other equipment

Terry wrote:

Agree. Good stuff for old VW type one engines, bit heavy for any gasoline engine built in the last 12-15 years.
--
PJ

We have no use for a case of 20 W 50 here , so when we have the estate sale it will be on a table with other items for sale.