2000 Cavalier Z24 Power Window

The passenger's side power window has stopped working on my son's Z24. When he brought it to me the glass was in the fully down position. We removed the door panel and plastic moisture barrier to find the
motor/regulator assembly is rivetted in place. Problem is to remove the assembly the window has to be raised and taped in the closed position. There was 12 volts ok at the motor but just a faint click as it tried to operate. We were able to get it to spring into life by briefly applying 24 Volts (an old trick learned in the 60's from repairing VW electrics)from 2 old car batteries in series, directly to the motor with its 2 power supply wires snipped. Now that we have the window up and the motor still just clicking faintly with the original wiring restored, what's next? How many hours is a dealer repair or is it a DIY job? Anyone out there had this repair done?
Power window motors can vary in price depending where you buy them. I think mine was $125 for mine. About 3 hours labor ( first time I did it ). Drill out the rivets and replace with nuts & bolts.
A friend had a window shop do his for $180 on a 93 Grand Prix.
Good Luck
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~292,024 miles_~_~_
~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_
On 25 Sep 2004 10:36:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Solomon Darcus) wrote:

15 minutes to drill out the rivets unplug motor and unbolt the rail to window bolts. 10 minutes to install the new motor to the assembly & lube the slides. 2 minutes to put assembly & motor in place and connect wires. 1 minute to install initial fastening bolt. 30 seconds to put other bolts "in place". 30 seconds to praise self on how good you are..............
1+ hours & 2 bloody knuckles trying to put nuts into place so that bolt can be attached and retrieving repeatedly falling nuts from body of door shell. 10 additional minutes cursing & screaming at the car and the whole stupid setup.
30 seconds scotch taping nut to wrench so it can be held in place while being fastened. 5 minutes to repeat with other nuts & bolts. 20 seconds to ensure window works properly. 2 minutes to re-install inside door panel. 5 minutes to scrape tape holding window up off of window & polish tape glue stuck on paint that wasn't quite covered.
5 minutes on phone pricing out correct size rivet gun and rivets.....
45 minutes consuming beer and applying bandages.
Voila Job done! Your assembly time may vary due to size of hands, availablitiy of large rivet gun or willingness to tape nut to wrench before dropping it 100x.
The last motor that I installed was purchased by my friend for $47 US. Look around the prices vary greatly.
Are you sure the motor is bad? If it is, how do you get it the window to go up? I am not the expert on your particular vehicle, but I have trouble shot few power windows problem in the pass. I have seen broken wires or defective switch but not motor. I would check it over again to be sure.
(Solomon

Thanks for the input folks. I'm fairly certain that it's a bad motor, possibly the brushes or commutator. It's not the wiring....I applied the 24 volts directly to the motor and there seems to be a dead part on the commutator. I'll check out the price for parts, bandages and beer!!

parts before, bandages during and beer after!
Dave
Mir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)