2002 grand am

Page 1 of 2
2002 Grand Am with 45000 kms., head gasket went and GM fixed as a good will measure. Is there a problem with these cars and does GM have ANOTHER secret
fix for premature head gasket failures. Eric

What engine? Have you searched google at all?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

You ask if there is a problem with these cars, but you don't think it matters which engine you're talking about? You don't think there's any value in a quick google search to see if there is a history of problems like yours, but instead you post the question here and then quip at a response.
Ok - the answer to your question is no.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Kudos, Mike.
So I guess what you are saying is that you have no idea, or you work for GM.

I guess you're saying you have no idea how to google or what size engine is in your car.

I think Mike already gave you an answer.
GM has had a lot of problems with several of their engines, and the problems are different. But if you are outside the warranty period, it is unlikely that they will repair your car for free. Call them and find out.
Here's a piece of advise for you. Don't piss of the regular's in a newsgroup. The people here are more then willing to take the time to answer your questions, but you have to make an ass of yourself instead. Posting what engine you have is a *requirement*, regardless of the question. Good luck with your Grand Am. If you would like to act like an adult, you are welcome to come back. If not, don't bother.

How would I know who is a regular and why would I piss off anyone by asking if GM had a secret warranty for head gasket failures. By the way GM did fix the head gasket out of the warranty period. I just thought people would want to know about a secret warranty if there was one. You people sure are sensitive. This was my first question ever, I did not know there were some kind of rules I had to follow. If no one knew anything then do not answer, just leave my query alone. Thanks to the people who treated my question with respect.

80 Knight was right on the mark, and tried to tell you in a decent way that your attitude sucks.
GM has not been quick to grant repairs out of warranty in a lot of their situations.
If you got yours done for free, consider yourself lucky.
You don't seem to get it. You asked a question. In order to answer that question, we wanted to know the engine. Instead of just giving us the engine size, you decided to insult the people trying to help you. Next time, just answer the question's asked of you. This is cyberspace. We can't just walk outside and look at your car. We need to know certain things, and the most basic are the make, model, and engine. It was a simple question.

The normal usenet protocol is to lurk for a bit and get the hang of how things work.

There is no such thing as a "secret warranty." OEMs from time to time do make special policy considerations. Bear in mind, when they do that, the person who actually performs the repair work is getting a bit of a screwing. He may also be here answering questions anyway.

But your circumstances may not be the same as someone else's circumstances.

So, were you asking, or telling?

Not really. Not mind readers either.

Well, there are. Usenet etiquette. DAGS

If no one knew which engine you were inquiring about, it's perfectly acceptable for them to ask.

Where do I find Usenet etiquette rules and what is DAGS. I do not know the size of motor but it is rated at 175 hp. I still do not get the reference to Google. What can a Google tell me. I still do not believe that there are no secret fixes or warrantees. Is this usenet site sponsored or run by GM? So is everyone saying that someone who does not know about cars should not ask any type of question? What is a regular, is that someone who asks questions or answers them? Is a regular a computor expert, a mechanic or what. Can I become a regular or is there some kind of fee for this? I know this is alot of questions but this is my first shot at computors. By the way GM said they fixed the car as a good will gesture, did not mention anything about a OEM, I do not even know what an OEM is.

Just to answer a few of your questions.

The basic Usenet rules are to respect others, and on car newsgroups (such as a GM one), always include the make (such as Pontiac), model (such as Grand Am), engine (such as 3.4) and km's (or miles). It just helps the people here to narrow down an answer for your question.

Do A Google Search. I will explain Google in a minute.

If you go and look under the hood, the type of engine should be right on the top. with 175 hp in a Grand Am, I would assume you have the GT version, with the 3.4L V6.

Google isn't a person, or a thing. It is a Search Engine. www.google.com Think of the Internet as a library. Now, you can't just walk into a library looking for a book on the Titanic, and stumble onto it. You have to have something or someone to tell you where to find the book. You type in a topic (such as "Grand Am Head Gasket") in Google, and it will list all the websites that have relevant information.

No. Usenet is not sponserd by anyone. It has been around for *many* years.

Not at all. It's just when you ask a question, and someone needs more information (such as the engine in the vehicle), don't snap back at them. Just answer the question the best way you can. If you still don't know, ask them how to find out. They will tell you.

A "Regular" is someone who frequents Usenet. Someone who is always answering questions, and even asking some themselves. A regular is known, and respected. If you stay here long enough, you will see who to respect and trust, and who to avoid.

You can't learn anything without asking questions. But, for the future, if someone asks you the engine size, or whatnot, just give them the answer. A lot of people on these groups are mechanics, and to you the engine size may seem non-important, but they know what they are doing, and they don't just ask questions for the hell of it.

A Goodwill gesture, usually means your car was out of the standard warranty period, but was low enough on either miles, years, or both, so GM decided to repair it anyhow. As for OEM, that stands for Original Equipment Manufacture. If you go buy a CD player from WalMart, it is Aftermarket (meaning it isn't something made by the same company as the car itself). If you go to a GM dealership and buy a CD player, it is OEM, becuase the same people who made your car, also made that CD player.
Hopefully I have cleared up some of your questions. Others will also come in and correct me where I was wrong, but please do not hesitate to ask more questions. Everyone has to start off at some time.

Thanks for all the input, this usenet site seems a little bit like a secret society with special terms, rules and acronyms, but I should be able to pick it up. Someone mentioned lurking, which must mean reading all the posts and picking up the lingo. As for all the people who got mad at me for saying the engine size did not matter, I thought if there was a problem with certain engines and if it was general knowledge, then certainly this site's experts would know about it. A few years ago when Neons had head gasket failures it was repoted on regular news media outlets and everyone knew about it. Also the sarcasm from a few people showed that this site is not as helpful and pristine as it should be. Treat the next newbie to this site with respect and I'm sure they will appreciate it as much as I do.

You might just be one of the most dense newbies I've seen in a while. We have repeatedly asked you to tell us what engine you have, and you refuse to do it. Unbelievable! Now you are simply being obstinant....and as such, it's not worth wasting any more time on your post.
Ian

Ya know - when you first came back with your know-it-all attitude while I was trying to help you, I just thought I'd bail out and let you go about your way. But, since then several people have made comment about your approach and all you've done is rationalize your bad behavior and repeatedly blame others for your ill mannered entrance. You seem to feel you can waltz into a room and dictate how things are going to be and everybody should jump to march to your drum. Well I have news for you Eric - screw you.
This site is indeed as helpful and as pristine as it should be. The problem is that occasionally one who does not know his butt from his elbow will come in and just start telling everybody how it should be - from a stand point of illiteracy. You are illiterate in the ways of usenet, you are illiterate in the matters of your car and you are illiterate in the manner of diagnosing problems. Yet, you stomp on in demanding your way. No sir - this group is just fine. It helps many people and we all share in the knowlege we have. We simply do not suffer spoiled little children well. You who demand so much respect should first try extending that which you demand.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Seeing as how I am a recent newcomer to Canada, I was wondering if the people who delight in berating and castigating and "driving me out of town" are Americans. The country I came from generally saw Canada as the best country in the world, a country of reason, peace and gentleness. Since being in Canada I have experienced all these things and a total lack of racism also. My native country saw America as being bellicose, a bully,a war mongerer, recist, with guns everwhere and people of colour being killed in the streets. Again I am wondering if the people who took the time to explain things to me who is ignorant of all that is so easy for the majority of you, were the Canadians who I have grown to love in a few short years. I have not seen too many movies, but, one I remember was called Mississippi Burning, I believe, where white Americans killed many people of colour. I hope this movie is not a true representation of how Americans think and feel. I am not trying to change anything except the attitudes of a few people who try to make people feel inferior or small, these few people are the ignorant ones.

Do another Google search, this time for "Troll"...