2003 Malibu - Cruise control indicator

My 2001 Malibu had the "CRUISE" indicator light up in the instrument cluster when cruise control was engaged.
This does not happen with my 2003 Malibu. I took it to the dealer and
was told that for 2003 it doesn't light up.
Is that the truth, or a load of crap? Seems odd to disable something like that, but with GM who knows.
The NHTSA site shows the following TSB, but I couldn't find the info on Alldata.
Make : CHEVROLET Model : MALIBU Year : 2003 Service Bulletin Num : 031603 Date of Bulletin: MAR 16, 2003 Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:CRUISE CONTROL Summary: OPERATIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING COMPLAINTS OF NO CRUISE CONTROL LIGHT APPEARING ON THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER WHEN THE CRUISE CONTROL IS SET. *TT *JB
I can't find any info on that bulletin. The bulletin number doesn't seem to be valid..
Does the owner's manual say anything about it? If not, then I would guess they just disabled that light for '03. Maybe somebody didn't like the light staring them in the face while driving?
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 03:31:07 GMT, "Robert Hancock"

Yeah, the bulletin number simply looks like the date a bulletin was issued.

The owner's manual doesn't say anything in the cruise control section or the instrument cluster section. Only reason why I went back to the dealer was that you can see "CRUISE" etched into the instrument cluster.
Of course, my 2001 didn't mention piston slap in the owner's manual, but I got lots of that :)

Dunno....I prefer being able to see it lit up myself.
Thanks for checking....Brad
My 2003 Malibu LS has the green LED indicator in the switch and the "Cruise" indicator in the instrument panel.
The switch LED lights when I turn the cruise on, the instrument panel only lights when cruise is engaged. (that is, once 'Set' button is pressed). Don't know if that is correct, and I don't much care for the combination, but it DOES work.
wrote:>>My 2003 Malibu does not have a cruise system light indicator in the

You've got an LS right? I thought at first that maybe it was not on the base Malibu but was only on the LS.

indeed! Probably saved 1/4 cent per vehicle to remove it as an option.

That is what I had expected my car to do, but the "Cruise" indicator in the instrument panel doesn't come on.
Back to the dealer it goes....may as well get the rough idel fixed while I'm there.
Brad
| My 2003 Malibu LS has the green LED indicator in the switch and the "Cruise" | indicator in the instrument panel. | | The switch LED lights when I turn the cruise on, the instrument panel only | lights when cruise is engaged. (that is, once 'Set' button is pressed). | Don't know if that is correct, and I don't much care for the combination, | but it DOES work. |
No "Cruise" indicator at all on my 2003 LS...except the very dim light on the on-off switch. I may ask the dealer about it. I will also look in the manual to see if they show a dash indicator in there.
Checked the 2003 Malibu Owner Manual part # 22691530, first edition 06/03/02.
Under the Cruise Control section 3-10, it only mentions the "indicator light on the OFF/ON button". No mention at all of a "Cruise" indicator on the instrument cluster.
In the Instrument Cluster section 3-24, the graphic does not show any place for a "Cruise" indicator light. The subsiquent pages that describe all of the instrument cluster lights makes no mention of a "Cruise" indicator light (but it does all the others)
Based on that, there apparently isn't a "Cruise" indicator light anywhere on the instrument cluster for the 2003 Malibu.

I've got a base Canadian model, and mine does not work (yet).
| wrote: | | >>Guess that green "CRUISE" to the right of the Speedometer, just above the | >>Fuel Gauge must be just a figment of my imagination then.......... | >> | >>(in fairness, this might have been either a running change (my LS is only 2 | >>months old), or because its a Canadian model, though built in Lansing. | >>Anyway, looks like a got a 'bonus' on this one) | I've got a base Canadian model, and mine does not work (yet).
Let us know what the dealer tells you. I'm not in good standing with GM these days, I'm afraid... :-( you may have better luck with them than I will.
Too long of a story and I'll spare the other NG regulars. No matter, I just unloaded my 2003 Malibu this week (the 1st GM I've owned since the 70's). I took a several thousand $$$ hit, but piece of mind is worth every penny...a huge load off of my shoulders! The cost of education, I suppose.
| James C. Reeves wrote: | | > Let us know what the dealer tells you. I'm not in good standing with GM | > these days, I'm afraid... :-( you may have better luck with them than I | > will. | | | Not in good standing? What happened? |
| You've got an LS right? I thought at first that maybe it was not on the | base Malibu but was only on the LS.
Correct I have the LS model.