3800 Series II problems

I've heard about the problems that this engine has, but is it in both FWD and RWD configurations or just FWD?

Besides the 02 Camaro/Firebird I don't think there were any RWD vehicles that had this engine. I'm not sure if the RWD configuration has the plastic intake manifold or not.

Same basic short block in FWD & RWD, differences is starter mounting bosses, and all bellhousing holes tapped vs one as a pass thru (FWD).
I bereave the heads differ between the FWD & RWD versions.
Most problems on this engine stem from intake gasket failures. Other then that, a damn good engine. It is not uncommon to see the original engine running well past 220K miles. Charles

Its mainly the FWD version that has problems because of the bean-countered "high tech" plastic intake. The RWD version used in F-bodies and other RWD GM vehicles(Holden and Opel) uses an aluminum intake.
Dennis Smith

Thanks for the answers everyone.