'91 S15 Jimmy parking brake warning light is on constant

Page 1 of 2
I have a '91 S15 Jimmy. The parking brake warning light is on constant. I have checked the fluid level and it is fine. I also tried tapping the parking brake while releasing it. Tried this several times.
I noticed that when I depress the parking brake, the light gets a little brighter.
What else can cause this light to stay on constant?
Exactly where is the sensor for the parking brake?
--
Bruce E. Stemplewski
GarXface OCX and C++ Class Library for the Garmin GPS

Bob D. wrote:

Thanks, I'll check that out. So more than likely is this the source of the problem? Is it a normally open switch? In other words would disconnecting the wires cause the light to go out?
BTW I suppose the reason it gets a bit brighter when depressed is if the switch where corroded, making some contact through the corrosion (resistance) and then when fully depressed, full contact is made.
--
Bruce E. Stemplewski
GarXface OCX and C++ Class Library for the Garmin GPS

This could indicate a failure in the hydraulic system. Check fluid level and check for leaks.
Steve
Steve Mackie wrote:

Thanks like I said in my message above, the fluid level is fine. If I had a leak wouldn't it be down?
--
Bruce E. Stemplewski
GarXface OCX and C++ Class Library for the Garmin GPS

Not necessarily...

I just read that it could also mean there is a problem with the ABS light circuit. Does the ABS light come on when you turn the key on? If so that's not the problem. So it also comes on when the p-brake switch is grounded out. Unplug the switch and see if the light goes out (the switch is above the peddle). The other way the light can set is by the "combination valve differential pressure switch".
Steve
Steve Mackie wrote:

No ABS light does not come on.
Should the light go out just by unplugging the switch? Or do I need to ground it or short the leads?
Where is the "combination valve differential pressure switch"? How do I check it?
I assume from your message above that problems with leaks could mean low pressure i.e. leaking just enough to cause low pressure but not enough to have noticeably low fluid level?
Thanks for your help.
--
Bruce E. Stemplewski
GarXface OCX and C++ Class Library for the Garmin GPS
If your saying the ABS light is NOT coming on when you turn the key. ( it should come on when you turn the key to start the engine, then go out after a second or two once the engine starts) Then you have a problem in the ABS system, check for a blown fuse.
--
Steve Williams

"Bruce Stemplewski" < snipped-for-privacy@nospamstempsoft.com> wrote in
If the '91 has the same setup as my '89 w/rear ABS it would set mystery codes when ever damp, wet or snowy winter weather came in. No ABS light on the '89 , the brake light was used. Codes would say bad solenoid, reset and would be fine for awhile. Never a prob. in summer only winter. My brother's got the truck now w/over 170k miles and the last 2 yr. it hasn't set the ABS code but he hasn't been going up to the north country in the mega salt either.
--
John
Repairman wrote:

Thanks
Yes it is winter here with plenty of salt! Any way to clear this other than getting the truck some place warm?
--
Bruce E. Stemplewski
GarXface OCX and C++ Class Library for the Garmin GPS

Exactly, if the ABS light does NOT come on when you turn the key forward, before startup, then the brake light comes on to tell you there is a problem with the ABS light circuit.
Steve

Thanks guys, I'm not sure if I ever remember it coming on but that doesn't mean that it did not. I'll go check the fuses.
--
Bruce E. Stemplewski
GarXface OCX and C++ Class Library for the Garmin GPS
Steve W. wrote:

Just checked it again. The ABS light is definitely NOT coming on. I did see it flicker once in the half dozen times that I tried starting the car, so I am pretty sure the bulb is OK.
I checked for fuses and could find none labeled ABS, there was one called Brake but it appears to be fine.
--
Bruce E. Stemplewski
GarXface OCX and C++ Class Library for the Garmin GPS

Hrm, do this. With ignition off, short terminals "A" and "H" of the ALDL connector (should be under the steering wheel in plain sight). It looks like terminal "A" is the top right hand corner one, and terminal "H" is the second from the left on the bottom row. (http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/aldl8192/8192hw.htm see "12 pin US style") Using a paper clip is popular. Turn ignition to ON position, do not start the vehicle. Watch ABS light, count flashes, report back. ;)
Steve
Steve Mackie wrote:

Will do tomorrow evening. Thanks.
--
Bruce E. Stemplewski
GarXface OCX and C++ Class Library for the Garmin GPS
Steve Mackie wrote:

What is the circuit on the link that you sent? Can I use a laptop to dignos the system?
--
Bruce E. Stemplewski
GarXface OCX and C++ Class Library for the Garmin GPS

Yes, the circuit is the device you need to build to connect a laptop to a GM ALDL 8192 baud diagnostic port. Your vehicle is an ALDL 160 baud I believe, and requires a different circuit. But this wouldn't help you in your situation. Just getting the codes will help enough.
Steve
Steve Mackie wrote:

OK the ABS light does not flash. It does not come on at all but the check engine light flashes.
Here is the sequence:
Brake Light on constant.
Check Gauges on constant.
Check engine flashes - one short flash no light (about 1 second) then 2 short flashes.
--
Bruce E. Stemplewski
GarXface OCX and C++ Class Library for the Garmin GPS

That's odd. You do have ABS right? Terminal "H" is the ABS test terminal and terminal "B" is the engine test terminal.
I'm at a loss, did you check the e-brake switch yet?
Steve