97 Park Avenue door handle

Girlfriend's '97 Park Avenue needs a new outer door handle on the driver's door. I was just going to change it, when she said she was told at a local shop that they were a real hassle to change. I have changed quite a few car door handles in the past and have never encountered one that was much harder than any others to do. A new one from GM is $95, while a junkyard one is $15. I thought I would rob the handle off of the rear door of a junker since it likely hasn't had nearly as much use as the driver's door handle, and they are usually interchangeable. Then the owner of the yard told me that the front and rear door handles are NOT interchangeable on those cars -- but the left and right ones are! (which we both thought was kind of wierd) So that kind of threw me for a loop, plus someone commenting that they were really hard to change... so I thought I would throw this out to you guys: Anyone changed the door handles on one of these and ran into any problems, like needing some special tool or something -- like to get the inner door panel off? Or is it just like any other car? If I go to do this, I want to make short work of it . TIA

Reply to
James Goforth

I haven't done a '97 Park Ave, but I did take apart the door on a '92. No more hassle than any other door handle. I also took apart a '98 Regal, though I don't know how similar the handles are on those two cars. Again - no bigger hassle than any other. I think the person who made this comment might have exaggerated a bit.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I haven't worked on any door handles like a 97 Park. I have a 2005. Last night I looked in the GM Service manual that I have for 2004. Once you get the door panel off there is some plug that needs to be removed from the back of the handle assembly. The door lock linkage has to be disconnected.

I didn't see any notes that the back door handle is different, but keep inmind the front door handle assembly houses the door key lock - So that is the reason they are not interchangeable according to what you have already been told.

There are only two bolts holding the door handle on, but there are three plastic tangs on the bottome of the inside of the hadle assembly that have to be depressed while you lift the door handle upward and out of the door. It sounds like these tangs are what seals the assembly tighter against the door & weatherstrip.

Good Luck.

harryface

91 Bonneville 317,675 05 Park Avenue 82,901
Reply to
Harry Face