98 Blazer - ABS Light and Smoke

This morning on my way to work, my ABS light came on - the brakes worked normally, no problem right? (I'm not a big fan of ABS anyway). When I got to work though, I noticed that my back passenger-side brakes were smoking and smelly -- that unmistakable "burning brake smell". I don't understand how the two could be related. The normal Brake light did not come on. The aforementioned rear brake pads are only 4 or 5 months old.

It's a 98 Blazer w/ 4-wheel disk brakes.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened?

thanks in advance, Aaron

Reply to
aaronspam

Yes - your left rear brake has a problem. It's hanging. That's causing the ABS to see incorrect wheel speeds. It's also causing you to burn up your brakes. If you have disk brakes in the rear, then look into replacing or rebuildeing your caliper. If you have drum brakes then look at what is keeping the shoes extended.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks Mike. Just to be clear - the Right brake pad is the one that's smoking, do you really mean that it's the left caliper that's malfunctioning? I could rationalize it either way, so I want to be sure I "get it" before I start pulling stuff apart. ;)

thanks Aaron

Reply to
AaronSpam

No - brain fart. I read "passenger side", thought "right" and typed "left".

Reply to
Mike Marlow