ABS Light came on

Tonight my ABS light came on. It's a 2002 Explorer 2wd with about 52,000 miles on it. Any ideas what may be the problem? The brakes seem to be working normal.

Reply to
xxxxxxxx

possibly your ABS sensor, I had a problem with mine where the wire broke in the wheel well.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Before you panic, check the brake fluid level in the reservoir. Next try washing out the area of the front wheel hubs with a high pressure washer. Then check the rear sensor (in the rear axle). Diconnect it and check for continuity.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks, The next day when I cranked it up, the light was off and has been off ever since. We had a lot of snow and ice here. Could that have caused the problem? Mark McCoy

xxxxxxxx

Which sensor is the ABS sensor?? Sounds like you had a problem with a wheel speed sensor..... These systems aren't as simple as you thimk they are. If they were, I'd be out of a job....

Not you in particular, but it amuses me to look at an electronics 'experts' VCR and see that it is always "12 o'clock - 12 o'clock - 12 o'cloc..."

Reply to
Jim Warman

Sure can. I took my 2000 explorer out a year ago to play in the snow one day and after getting snow packed everywhere, the abs light came on. I figured, "oh great, I broke something".

After a few hours of melting in the garage, it was fine again.

I since learned that snow can pack around the sensors and cause them to not be able to pick up the signal.

Reply to
Mark