Angle plug heads and spark plug boots

Hello All!
A friend of mine is running aluminum Corvette angle plug heads with shorty headers in a street rod and is running into problems with the four outer spark
plug boots touching the headers and burning.
What are some things that you have seen done to alleviate this problem?
Thanks!
Gerard
--
Gerard's Automobile Book, Video, and DVD Store
http://www.bob2000.com/booksvids.html

Hooker has a variety of full size headers designed to clear the plugs/boots of angle plug heads in a varity of applications. I suspect that they have them in shorties too. It's an expensive fix in the short term but is probably worth it in the long term if you weigh the cost of new headers versus the continuing cost of replacing burnt boots and the risk of fire.
snipped-for-privacy@bob2000antispam.com wrote:

shields (I believe mine are from Taylor) have resisted burning quite well. The wires can be had with a relatively compact 90~ boot, and some wiggling got me to where only two had a very light contact with the header (cyls 5 and 6). If the boots are flexed firmly against the tubes it probably won't last, but if they clear it could be worth a try if different headers are too expensive or unavailable to clear the chassis. For the more "ham-fisted" rodder, dinging the tubes with a mallet can sometimes get just enough clearance. Obviously, however, this isn't always desirable on a clean street rod.
This seems too obvious but are the headers that are on the engine designed for angle plug heads? Properly designed headers have different bends to allow clearance needed for plug wires. While you can get away with universal headers on some applications, tight fitting block huggers as used on street rods just dont give enough clearance unless they are right for the plugs.
-- Mike.................................................... "Opportunities are spawned from crisis"
wrote:

shields (I believe mine are from Taylor) have resisted burning quite well. The wires can be had with a relatively compact 90~ boot, and some wiggling got me to where only two had a very light contact with the header (cyls 5 and 6). If the boots are flexed firmly against the tubes it probably won't last, but if they clear it could be worth a try if different headers are too expensive or unavailable to clear the chassis. For the more "ham-fisted" rodder, dinging the tubes with a mallet can sometimes get just enough clearance. Obviously, however, this isn't always desirable on a clean street rod.
I don't think they are designed for the heads...I mentioned that to the owner, but he's already got everything installed and doesn't really want to change the headers due to the expense.
Gerard