Best way to check Trans Fluid

Can someone tell me the correct way to check my Trans fluid level on my 2001 Malibu LS 3.1 L
Thanks

On Thu, 7 May 2009 12:23:23 -0400, "Larry from N.J."

This is a financials/political group.
--Vic

Dood - you are great! You get the prize for this week. Wait 'till she arrives on your doorstep - no teeth, ragged, ugly, but free.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
Larry from N.J. wrote:

Take vehicle for a drive to warm it up. Park on a level surface. Leave the engine idling, open the hood and pull the trans stick. Read the level. It should be in the hot/warm section.
--
Steve W.

This transmission does not have a dipstick (a modern trend that affect both US and foreign makes). There is a "check plug." The theory is, unless you see fluid leaking, there is no need to check it. This was the auto manufacturers' response to drivers that routinely either overfill an automatic transmission, or add the wrong type of fluid. Not having a dipstick weeds out most of the people who make mistakes.
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

Yeah I realized that just about the same time I hit send.
Not a big deal to check with the level plug though. BUT unless you have a lift OR a way to elevate the vehicle and keep it level it's not worth the effort.
Basically with the level plug you lift the vehicle so you can get under it. Put a drain pan under it and remove the level plug (located on the converter side between the converter housing and the output shaft). If fluid leaks out it's over full. If not then it is full or low. Easy way to make sure is to add fluid till it leaks out(filler cap is the vent cap located on top of the trans near the shift cable).
VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE THE VEHICLE IS LEVEL. If not you can over fill or under fill the trans. over by a little isn't a big problem, under filled can cause BIG dollar problems.
--
Steve W.

Where does one find the dipstick?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
| |
They are all in Washington D.C.
--
Anyolmouse

I'm sure he'll be posting soon.

There is not a dispstick. See http://www.autostalk.com/chevrolet-malibu/re-where-transmission-dipstick-2001-a-219936.html .
Ed

One more time... on the passenger side of the transaxile, there is a plug. Remove the plug and the fluid level should be up to the level of the plug - just like checking a rear end.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
OK Guys I got that
I'll look for that plug, BUT, should the Trans be hot and should I have the Car running or no??when I'm checking??
Thanks

No real matter. Better to do it cold so you don't burn yourself. Just make sure the car is level.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
Thanks Michael!!

Larry from N.J. wrote:

cold and off while using the plug check. Don't be directly under it either!

--
Steve W.

OK Steve
OFF and Cold