Re: "Power Steering Fluid" & Auto Trans Fluid - Interchangeable?

A few years ago, when you needed to change or add to the power steering

> pump, you simply used Dextron automatic transmission fluid. > > First of all, why do they even call this stuff, "fluid", when it is really > a hydraulic oil? But more importantly, is there any fundamental difference > in the composition and properties between these two fluids? In a pinch, am > I safe to use automatic transmission fluid in the power steering pump, > regardless of the recommendations. > > Maybe its just a scam to get you to buy from Mopar instead of Pep Boys. >
Reply to
maxpower

"Fluid" sounds more impressive, implying it was specially formulated. The word fluid is a general term for either liquids or gases as opposed to solids. Air and water are both fluids, but air is a gas and water is a liquid.

Reply to
nobody