buick regal questions -- looking for advice

Page 3 of 3
"SgtSilicon" wrote

Ok, you've convinced me, you don't understand what the intent and purpose of ABS is either.
Ian
Ian wrote:

I don't have a dog in this fight.
However, as an unbiased observer, let me take a stab at the answer Ian was seeking.
The key is the "A" in ABS. Antilock Brake Systems are supposed to help the driver avoid locking up the brakes in a panic stop situation. Sometimes you get a "slower" stop with ABS, but it is a more controlled, more consistent stop. But then, I read the Helm manuals.
---Bob Gross---
You've conviced me that you don't. So I guess that makes us even.
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 08:05:12 GMT, "shiden_Kai"

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
IIRC, the best tested stop so far for a car with ABS 60-0 is around 115ft. My old Buick takes nearly twice that(~180-200) as it doesn't have ABS and I can't just stomp on the pedal.
Here you are. It's an excerpt from an article on www.howstuffworks.com which explains ABS:
Getting the ABS Concept The theory behind anti-lock brakes is simple. A skidding wheel (where the tire contact patch is sliding relative to the road) has less traction than a non-skidding wheel. If you have been stuck on ice, you know that if your wheels are spinning you have no traction. This is because the contact patch is sliding relative to the ice (see Brakes: How Friction Works for more). By keeping the wheels from skidding while you slow down, anti-lock brakes benefit you in two ways: You'll stop faster, and you'll be able to steer while you stop.
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 08:05:12 GMT, "shiden_Kai"

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Harry Face wrote:

GOOD CARS OIL CHANGE EVERY 3,000 MILES AND DRIVE IT 3.8 MOTORS ARE RELIABLE I HAVE 3 IN MY FAMILY AND WOULD RECOMMEND THIS VEHICLE TO EVERY ONE ENJOY
An all around winner. Far better than most for every engineering aspect and comfort. Enjoy....

Thanks Stuart and Hay Now,
albert