Defeat ABS Brakes on 94 Chev. Lumina Sedan

Hi,
1994 Chev. Lumina Sedan.
Can the ABS brake system be defeated so the brakes operate as "regular" brakes?
Is it difficult to do?
Thanks in advance, Brad
Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

I know it can be done, but I'm not sure exactly how.
Just curious, why don't you want them? I live in a snow area and find them helpful at times.
Brad wrote:

Brad..
I have a 95 Lumina Mini Van. The ABS light came on about 5 years ago on my van, and ever since the ABS has never worked. (Im like you and HATE ABS) So I never got it fixed. However a guy told me at the local garage that the sending unit was screwed. So maybe if you disconnect the sending unit. Don't ask were it is, cause I have no idea LOL.. Steve...

Check your local laws before doing this.
Steve
Greetings,
The answer to both of your questions is "Yes". However, you need to check with your local laws and with your insurance company. Since ABS is a safety system it may be illegal to do so, and you also may be receiving a discount on your insurance because you have it that you may no longer be eligible for if you disable the system.
And then of course there's the issue of liability on my part, especially since I am an advocate of ABS.
Good luck - Jonathan

Brad,
I don't know why you want to do this, but it is quite easy.
In the main fuse box inside the glove box, remove the fuse marked "ABS".
In the Underhood Electrical Center #2 (mounted to the driver's side strut tower) remove BOTH fuses marked "ABS" (one is a large Maxi-Fuse, the other is a Mini-Fuse).
This will remove all electrical power from the entire ABS system and render it dead.
One side effect of doing this is that the yellow "ABS" light will be ON all the time, since the ABS module, when unpowered, will not supply a ground to the light control module to turn the light off. You have 2 ways of fixing this:
1) Remove the ABS lamp from the dsahboard
2) Disconnect the light control module - you'll find it behind the left sound deadener panel to the right of the steering column. It is a small rectangular module with a 4-pin connector taped to the wiring harness.
Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA