DRL's on Impala?

Hi all, Has anyone successfully found a way to disable the daytime running lights on a 2000 Impala?

I was able to do it on my 2000 GMC Sonoma by removing the DRL relay and snipping off one of the prongs (can't remember the number right now). The relays are the same in both vehicles, so I tried putting the snipped relay from the GMC into the Impala and it DOES work... the DRL's are off, and both high beams work as they should, but now I get a "service engine soon" message whenever I start the car. It also does this whenever the relay is pulled out entirely.

Has anyone figured out how to disable them without getting the computer message? Any help would be appreciated.

Tony (The above email address is fake. Please reply to the group)

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

The computer monitors the circuit and will even turn on the SVS lamp if a bulb is out. I'd have to see the schematic to see if there's any part of the circuit that can be cut without the computer seeing it.

My memory of the situation leads me to believe you may need to create a "dummy" circuit with an appropriately sized resistor.

Reply to
hyundaitech

How much will your GM Lemmings here pay me to stay out of the discussion topic this time! ;-)

Tony, good luck getting help on this issue from this group. The people here think they (and GM) know better how to operate your lights then you do. If you get any help, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I'm quite surprised...a relatively useful answer! The feedback circuit you build would need to apply the correct current values back to the BCM (as the reply post states). Although if the car was still under warranty, this trick would most likely void that warranty.

The REAL answer to this _customers_ question is that GM should program the DRLs to function in the mode that the _customer_ wants them to function in. there is really no excuse not to...the competition does it! But, alas, that won't happen either.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

The thought occured to me on the way home today that if lights on is safer, then it ought to show up in insurance data. Can anyone shed any light on the premise?

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

| > How much will your GM Lemmings here pay me to stay out of the discussion topic | > this time! ;-) | >

| > Tony, good luck getting help on this issue from this group. The people here | > think they (and GM) know better how to operate your lights then you do. If | > you get any help, I'll be pleasantly surprised. | | The thought occured to me on the way home today that if lights on | is safer, then it ought to show up in insurance data. | Can anyone shed any light on the premise?

One would think so. When I inquired with my insurance company about 2-years ago when I noticed there wasn't a discount noted on my policy for DRLs on the Malibu I had purchased, they told me that their "...insurance loss data showed no benefit whatsoever of DRLs". They went on to say that the only place they provide a DRL discount was New York state where the state legislature mandated a insurance deduction...but that deduction was not based on any reality of fact. But, that is just the view on one insurance company.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I'll see if my Allstate agent can dig up any data. Paul.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

| I'll see if my Allstate agent can dig up any data. | Paul.

That would be interesting to know.

Reply to
James C. Reeves