Front left CV joint seizure?

1993 Jimmy, with electronic transfer case.
- Driving in 2WD is fine, no indications of trouble
- In 4Hi, right turns are fine - In 4Hi, or just after turning off 4Hi (Back to 2 wheel), turning left
results in the vehicle coming to a halt (with a couple small creaking sounds). To get out of it, in 2wd mode, reverse, then forward, then all is okay.
- Have not checked 4Lo for this failure mode, I assume it is the same. I'm hesitant to do so as a lot more torque can be delivered in 4Lo.
Does this sound like a CV joint failure, or a problem with the front differential?
One more question: Until this is fixed, if I drive in 2WD mode only are there any safety issues?

sounds like the front diff problem or Xfer case. the CV axles are always turning in a GM IFS, so if it was the CV axles, it would always do it 4wd or not.
if it doesn't do it in 2wd you *should* be ok.
-Bret

I'm going to pull the transfer case fuse, so it's always stuck in 2wd and can't be switched to 4wd.
To clarify, it comes to a screeching halt like I had just jammed on the brakes if I turn left in 4wd.
If you are on dry pavement here ,the binding up can be normal with that type of 4wd, remember the outer jointss are operating all the time even in 2wd, but are disconnected from the drivetrain so if the joint were frozen, you would feel something in turns even in 2wd.

-