Left Inner CV joint problem

I have a 81 Jetta that I am rebuilding and am regreasing the CV Joints and the last one (Left Inner) wont swivel after I put it back together (following the Bentley books instructions which worked fine for the other 3 joints) the cage will move but the inner and outer pieces are locked solidly together. cant understand it, the joint was fine before I took it apart almost no play or anything.

any ideas or suggestions??

Thanks

Aaron Z

Reply to
aczlan

found the problem (the inner piece wasn't lined up correctly)... only took me 3 hrs to notice

Aar> I have a 81 Jetta that I am rebuilding and am regreasing the CV Joints

Reply to
aczlan

Hmmmm, interesting ... I'm rebuilding an 81 Rabbit and noticed something vaguely similar on the driver's side inner joint. I didn't disassemble it, I use a homebrew solvent to wash all the grease out of the joints to avoid that issue. But after cleaning, the driver's side joint had strong tendency to "catch" or lock as I moved it by hand through its range of motion, especially if the inner race was telescoped a little in or out from center. I sharp tap gets it free again every time, but it feels uneven as it moves, but not gritty. The passenger side moves smooth as glass. Neither has any detectable play or looseness.

I noticed that the passenger joint is marked with part numbers and "W. Germany" on the outside of the outer race. The sticky joint has no markings at all. Both outer joints have little "VW" logo stamps on their parts, and move smoothly.

Anyone else experienced this sort of thing? I'm beginning to wonder if

81's had a mix of parts from different suppliers, and these DS inner joints just aren't made quite as well :-/.

Tony in MO

Reply to
backwoods

Most probably a generic one has been put in place at some time, in the history of that car....

Reply to
al