GM 'car czar' is force behind push to abandon old ways of building cars

Page 2 of 2

They both have their problems, but based on price and space I'd take the GM over VW any day for mid size. For a compact VW would be my choice, much better than GM's Korean imports.
Just Facts wrote:

That would be a tough call. The Passat is a WAY superior driving car to anything GM makes, but it's known to be more problematic than the A-chassis based VWs.

Yup. Personally I'd rather have an A1 chassis VW than just about anything else (pre-1985 Rabbit/Jetta or any Scirocco or early body style Cabriolet.)
nate

I have owned two Passats and have loved both of them. The ride was exceptionally good, and the manual transmissions are smooth as butter and very forgiving.
I would have no qualms about buying another, except for the rather bad reputation the dealerships have in the USA, and the reluctance of VW corporate to intervene.
VW now has a new boss, and I hope he is wiser than the previous one. They could cure their image problem quickly.
I drove a new Passat last spring (4 cylinder turbo, automatic) and the price was not so high. Less than $25,000
GM still doesn't get it. Those who buy American want and expect American made, not some rebadge crap from Europe with a GM sticker. When will they wake up?

Well, dude, they really want more than that. American made doesnt amount to anything if American made is crap.
In my opinion, Americans want good reliable merchandise. If it can be Made In USA, fine. But if Americans cant rise to the needed level of quality, the clients WILL buy from other sources.
Dont give me any nationalistic bullshit about the best quality and best engineering being in the USA. It isnt so any more. It SHOULD be, but t'aint.
So, Americans, stand up, get to work, and make something that the world wants to buy. Dont be like the British who felt they were kings of the world, and produced shit.
Why do some continue to say GM does not build vehicles Americans want to buy? GM and Ford as well, outsell any import brand. Somebody obviously likes their quality better than any import, since they are buying GM and Ford vehicles by the millions annually.
mike