GM Customer Service

What a joke. After an hour on the phone with this young lady, I was coaxed into taking my new car back to the dealer for "an evaluation" of my tire problems. Needless to say that after three hours wait, my cell phone rings and in the dealer's waiting room I was told that my tires would not be replaced by GM. I was told by the service mechanic that my tire had a staple in it and that they did not have the equipment to repair that. The tire pressure read out said that the air pressure in the left rear was low. The staple was in the right front tire. I drove to my tire shop and they took the staple (very large industrial kind of staple) out of the tire, put two small patches inside the tire, remounted and inflated the tire. They put that tire on the balance machine and you could see the wobble in the tire on the balance machine. That tire took 8 oz. of weight on inside and outside of the wheel. The machine showed that that tire is out of balance not the wheel. Now with the staple in the tire Goodyear probably wont talk to me about this either. I picked up a set of Michelin LTX M/S at cost and took them to my tire shop to have mounted on this 2005 Chevy Tahoe Limited $49,500.00 auto. GM can put Michelin tires on some Cadillacs but the lowly Tahoe got Goodyears. Now I hear that batches of tires are often "out of round - or - have flat spots" in them when they come from the factory. Is this another "car sales line" or can that be true. I thought the tire industry was put on notice after the Ford Explorer/Firestone issue. At the tire shop I saw tires that looked like they had exploded with good tread ripped right off the tire, what gives here. GM customer service seems to be anything but and I now have new tires on my car, photos of the old ones with multiple two and three ounce weights on them and the new tires have almost no weights on the wheels. Guess the car now cost me $50,500.00. Happy motoring. No wonder folks end up going to Toyota and Honda. There are no other choices. It is really difficult to be loyal to an American brand automobile these days. TPBeach

Reply to
Azonie

MikeG

Why were you talking to GM customer service about your tire problems? Every new vehicle I've ever bought had a card in the glove box that said that the tires are warranted by the tire manufacturer. Not by GM.

I was told by the service mechanic that my

Did you check with Goodyear? They can't help you if you don't tell them about the problem.

I picked up a set of Michelin LTX M/S at cost and took

You're liable to "hear" anything.

Is this another "car sales line" or can that be true. I

"What gives" is tires come apart after being run flat or too low, for too long. Drive any interstate highway and you'll see lots of examples.

My last set of LTX M/S cost me right at $600 mounted and balanced. I'm sure glad I don't have to buy them "at cost". ;-)

As in this case, people often create their own problems. I doubt you'd be happy there either.

You should have gone to Goodyear. Who's fault is it that you didn't?

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Well let's see...

I'm not defending GM in any way, but your post doesn't stand up under its own weight. First off, you bitch because GM won't stand behind a tire with an industrial staple in it? How is that a GM warranty issue?

Second - you make no reference to poor driving with the factory tires, so one has to assume that it rolled along smoothly. Suddenly the tires are drastically out of round? Not that I question the tires being out of round - essentially, all tires are out of round to some degree, and that's often quite an alarming degree. My point is that the tires were apparently quite suitable to you before a tire store told you they were out of round. Not sure I understand how that's a GM problem.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Vehicle manufactures do not warrant tires. Ford is the only vehicle manufacture to warrant the tires on their vehicles. Read your warranty booklet, other manufacture refer you to the tire manufactures for tire related problems.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I think I would have went to a Goodyear tire shop and got those tires replaced, if they were that bad. Michelin doesn't make the best tire either, my Blazer wore them out in 35,000 miles. I replaced them with Coopers and they lasted over 45,000 miles, at which I sold the vehicle, and they still didn't look that bad. My opinion is Michelin are over rated. The Goodyears on my Z-71 still had better than half the tread at 45,000 and rode great, but the tires need to be rotated every 8-10,000 miles.

Reply to
The Adams Family

You are one of the zillions of people silly enough to spend $50,000 on $25,000 worth of truck.

It is no wonder that GM and others make all of their profits on these monsters. Big, cheaply built trucks sold at luxury car prices. Lutz & friends are laughing at you all the way to the bank.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Which policy is absurd. The vehicle manufacturer specifies, purchases and installs the tires just like they do other parts of the vehicle. The manufacturer doesn't make many of the components on the vehicle, but should still be responsible for them.

The customer paid GM, not Goodyear.

John

Reply to
John Horner

It may seem absurd to you, but that's the way it's been for as long as I can remember. The tire manufacturers have their own dealer/warranty networks.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Well Lurch, tread life is only one factor. Tire design is a bag of trade-offs, with things like tread life, traction (dry, wet or perhaps mud and snow too), heat dissipation, maximum rated speed, etc. all playing a role.

While I do not know if it is the situation in the case you mention, I do know that typically when long lasting tread life is prioritized, traction (especially dry) is usually degraded as a design trade off. Personally, I prioritize on traction over tread life because my life is more important than the tread's life.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

And I can remember being whipsawed between the two.

When I was having premature tire failure on my new car, The auto dealer said; "Not our problem... bad tires" The tire dealer said; "Not our problem... bad alignment"

I guess they play that game often....

Reply to
Anonymous

I find that hard for me to understand. Different alignment problems produce distinct patterns on a tire. Particular tire problem like tread separation or ply delaminating are obvious. What problems you are experiencing should be apparent to any observant technician or a tire store manager. Have one write their analyses of the problem, on the work order, and take it to the other to rebut their definition of the problem, WBMA

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Ref my above message, even though the tires were warranted by the tire manufacturer, my dealer changed and replaced the tires twice. ( I am on my

3rd set @22000 miles. 02 silverado ext cab) It may be due to my complaint within the 2nd week of ownership that they felt responsible. On my previous truck, premium tires (goodyear) were on my invoice. I had a lot of trouble with them as well, and after several alignments, rebalancing etc. I demanded a warranty claim to the GY tire shop. I was told that they would pro-rate them on the remaining tread. The pro rate was on the MSRP of the tires which turned out to be more than the same tire on sale at that dealer. I bought Michelon m/s and they were on the truck when I sold it (92 silverado 4.3)@ 88,000 miles. All the vibration, shaking, uneven wear went away as soon as I dumped the GYr's.
Reply to
MikeG

Happy that you are not defending GM. Before I signed the docs on this Tahoe, I told the salemen that this car has a bad shake at speeds over

  1. I was told that that was because it was sitting around on the tires (Goodyear LS) for a few months and that I should drive the car for a few hundred miles and it would work itself out. I never heard of anything so stupid in my life but again, thinking that I could get them balanced all would be well.

I took the car back to the dealer and coaxed them into balancing the wheels. The tech came back into the sales area and the next thing I know they drove my car to Phoenix to get Goodyear to replace tires under GOODYEAR WARRANTY. When it came back it had two new Goodyear LS

2's on it and it still drove like shit. At that time the car had less than 500 miles on it. Now the steering wheel was canted to the right and the car drifted to the left. Front end totally out of alignment.

Chevy dealer did the front end and balanced THE TWO OLDER TIRES. Car still drove like shit. Was told to contact Regency, the company that did the conversion. Someone else told me to contact the GM zone rep. It was impossible to get anyone to tell me how to contact the GM zone rep for Phoenix, AZ or whatever zone we are in here.

Decided that I would take a buddy up- on the offer to get a set of Michelin LTX M/S tires at his cost.

Had them mounted and balanced at my tire shop. The car finally drives beautifully. I did contact Regency last week and they told me that they would call me back sometime next week. I did not mention the rear seat that will not fold or fasten itself back to the floor. Parts on order. I did not mention that Regency left the original spare on the car but you cannot mount that spare on any of the wheels due to the dust covers on the brake calipers. I did not mention that the carbon fiber dash does not extend to the console and rear heat controls. I did not mention that the guy at Regency told me to be careful with my ring on the steering wheel because it may cause the carbon fiber to peel. I did not mention that the two covers that were installed when the roof luggage racks were removed have bad chips in the paint. Other than that, I just love the car.

TPBeach

Reply to
Azonie

For what it's worth Mike - there is no "above message". If you're re-posting this to usenet from some other forum, you need to be aware of the format that your posts appear here. Hats off to you all the same for at least including the text from the previous poster(s) to which you are responding.

Good for you. I'm no fan of Goodyear tires and I'm glad to see someone get a deal out of the whole affair.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The dealer is one that I have purchased a number of cars from in the past. I had no reason not to trust them to do the right thing.

As for driving, I have been a licensed driver for 55 years and do know a little bit about tires, wheels and cars. I also know when customer service sucks. I have a new GMC Sierra that is no problem whatsoever sitting on new General tires. My Tahoe is on the other side of the garage sitting on new Michelin P275-55R20's. I would like to see you purchase them for $600.00 mounted and balanced. The tires that went on the Dodge Colt are just a bit smaller.

I don't feel that I should have to defend my statements but it appears that you are interested in finding fault in just about anything posted here.

Perhaps you should look into a job in GM customer service.

TPBeach

Reply to
Azonie

Hmmmmm... who ya talkin' to Azonie?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Post I was refering to was on the 13th (yesterday) its above on mine...anyways here it is in case you are interested I don't know why tire manufacturers allow 'crap' tires to be put on new vehicles. The owners are going to go out of their way not to buy that brand anymore. I am on my 3rd set of Generals for my Silverado, (replaced by the dealer) for bounce, vibration. The new ones seem good for about 3-4000 miles then the same problem. Am I going to buy Generals anymore...h*** no. Am I going back to my dealer for a new vehicle when I need service or a new vehicle...h*** yes.

If you're

Reply to
MikeG

The guy that told me I would probably find fault in a Toyota really pis**d me off. This new Tahoe is a dream car to drive and it is better on gas than my last Silverado. Living out in the middle of nowhere, I can stay speed limit or better with cruise control on. The little ones love the built in DVD sets, I love the headphones. The dogs like the fact that the back two seats come out and they have all the room in the world. Frankly, this is almost as beautiful as my 2004 Avalanche. At times I wish I still had it but it was more car than we needed. I am sad that I have lost my relationship with my Chevy dealer. They have resorted to calling me Mr. Beach instead of Ted. All I wanted was a new set of tires on the car when it had 34 miles on it. TPBeach

Reply to
Azonie

Yeah, I had GY on my car (were the orginals install by factory). They were performance tires but let me tell you, their traction in the wet was sooooo horrible it was scary. Truly scary because it was magnified by having gobs of power to the drive wheels. I put on some Michellin Pilot Sports and have noticed a DRAMATIC improvement in wet traction. I have also noticed improvement in other areas though to a lesser degree than the wet traction improvement.

Reply to
SgtSilicon