GM Customer Service

Page 1 of 2
What a joke. After an hour on the phone with this young lady, I was coaxed into taking my new car back to the dealer for "an evaluation" of
my tire problems. Needless to say that after three hours wait, my cell phone rings and in the dealer's waiting room I was told that my tires would not be replaced by GM. I was told by the service mechanic that my tire had a staple in it and that they did not have the equipment to repair that. The tire pressure read out said that the air pressure in the left rear was low. The staple was in the right front tire. I drove to my tire shop and they took the staple (very large industrial kind of staple) out of the tire, put two small patches inside the tire, remounted and inflated the tire. They put that tire on the balance machine and you could see the wobble in the tire on the balance machine. That tire took 8 oz. of weight on inside and outside of the wheel. The machine showed that that tire is out of balance not the wheel. Now with the staple in the tire Goodyear probably wont talk to me about this either. I picked up a set of Michelin LTX M/S at cost and took them to my tire shop to have mounted on this 2005 Chevy Tahoe Limited $49,500.00 auto. GM can put Michelin tires on some Cadillacs but the lowly Tahoe got Goodyears. Now I hear that batches of tires are often "out of round - or - have flat spots" in them when they come from the factory. Is this another "car sales line" or can that be true. I thought the tire industry was put on notice after the Ford Explorer/Firestone issue. At the tire shop I saw tires that looked like they had exploded with good tread ripped right off the tire, what gives here. GM customer service seems to be anything but and I now have new tires on my car, photos of the old ones with multiple two and three ounce weights on them and the new tires have almost no weights on the wheels. Guess the car now cost me $50,500.00. Happy motoring. No wonder folks end up going to Toyota and Honda. There are no other choices. It is really difficult to be loyal to an American brand automobile these days. TPBeach
I don't know why tire manufacturers allow 'crap' tires to be put on new vehicles. The owners are going to go out of their way not to buy that brand anymore. I am on my 3rd set of Generals for my Silverado, (replaced by the dealer) for bounce, vibration. The new ones seem good for about 3-4000 miles then the same problem. Am I going to buy Generals anymore...h*** no. Am I going back to my dealer for a new vehicle when I need service or a new vehicle...h*** yes.

MikeG wrote:

Generals suck, period. It's fairly common knowledge that Generals wear, ride, and handle like iron. They must also be real cheap. I recall being told of a conversation between an ABS development engineer and one of the customer's representatives (customer being one of the Big Three) - there was an issue with one of their medium duty truck platforms not being able to meet the appropriate standards for braking distance due essentially to the mfgr. of said platform spec'ing shite tires. The engineer basically told customer's representative this. Cust. rep. strongly expressed concern and doubt about said engineer's skills as he was "unaware of any problem like this that couldn't be handled through software."
I guess there's people working for the big three that don't understand basic concepts like static and dynamic friction coefficients, as shocking as that may sound...
I don't know to this day how that situation was resolved, but it made me want to put my head through a wall...
nate

brand
the
no.
new
The last Generals that I had on a car were truly terrible. Sidewall blowouts on 3 of the 4, IIRC.

Why were you talking to GM customer service about your tire problems? Every new vehicle I've ever bought had a card in the glove box that said that the tires are warranted by the tire manufacturer. Not by GM.
I was told by the service mechanic that my

Did you check with Goodyear? They can't help you if you don't tell them about the problem.
I picked up a set of Michelin LTX M/S at cost and took

You're liable to "hear" anything.
Is this another "car sales line" or can that be true. I

"What gives" is tires come apart after being run flat or too low, for too long. Drive any interstate highway and you'll see lots of examples.

My last set of LTX M/S cost me right at $600 mounted and balanced. I'm sure glad I don't have to buy them "at cost". ;-)

As in this case, people often create their own problems. I doubt you'd be happy there either.

You should have gone to Goodyear. Who's fault is it that you didn't?
Dave
The dealer is one that I have purchased a number of cars from in the past. I had no reason not to trust them to do the right thing.
As for driving, I have been a licensed driver for 55 years and do know a little bit about tires, wheels and cars. I also know when customer service sucks. I have a new GMC Sierra that is no problem whatsoever sitting on new General tires. My Tahoe is on the other side of the garage sitting on new Michelin P275-55R20's. I would like to see you purchase them for $600.00 mounted and balanced. The tires that went on the Dodge Colt are just a bit smaller.
I don't feel that I should have to defend my statements but it appears that you are interested in finding fault in just about anything posted here.
Perhaps you should look into a job in GM customer service.
TPBeach

Hmmmmm... who ya talkin' to Azonie?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

<snip>
Well let's see...
I'm not defending GM in any way, but your post doesn't stand up under its own weight. First off, you bitch because GM won't stand behind a tire with an industrial staple in it? How is that a GM warranty issue?
Second - you make no reference to poor driving with the factory tires, so one has to assume that it rolled along smoothly. Suddenly the tires are drastically out of round? Not that I question the tires being out of round - essentially, all tires are out of round to some degree, and that's often quite an alarming degree. My point is that the tires were apparently quite suitable to you before a tire store told you they were out of round. Not sure I understand how that's a GM problem.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Vehicle manufactures do not warrant tires. Ford is the only vehicle manufacture to warrant the tires on their vehicles. Read your warranty booklet, other manufacture refer you to the tire manufactures for tire related problems.
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Which policy is absurd. The vehicle manufacturer specifies, purchases and installs the tires just like they do other parts of the vehicle. The manufacturer doesn't make many of the components on the vehicle, but should still be responsible for them.
The customer paid GM, not Goodyear.
John

It may seem absurd to you, but that's the way it's been for as long as I can remember. The tire manufacturers have their own dealer/warranty networks.
Dave

And I can remember being whipsawed between the two.
When I was having premature tire failure on my new car, The auto dealer said; "Not our problem... bad tires" The tire dealer said; "Not our problem... bad alignment"
I guess they play that game often....
<rj>
I find that hard for me to understand. Different alignment problems produce distinct patterns on a tire. Particular tire problem like tread separation or ply delaminating are obvious. What problems you are experiencing should be apparent to any observant technician or a tire store manager. Have one write their analyses of the problem, on the work order, and take it to the other to rebut their definition of the problem, WBMA
mike hunt

This car drove badly at 60 on the "test" drive.I was told that the car had flat spots from sitting. That I should drive it about 300 miles and the flat spots would "work themselves out". The car had 34 miles on it when sold to me and some of that was my test drive. At speeds over 60 the steering wheel shook badly. I went back to the dealer and had to argue then agree to pay for the balance job just to get them to look at the tires. STOP. This is a new car. I cannot drive it on the highway. Tech comes on to sales floor and tells salesman something. I was told that there were two "bad tires" on my car and some old guy drove the thing in to Phoenix and had Goodyear (Discount Tire) put two new tires on the car. I wanted the car taken to my tire shop but they claimed that they did not have an account with them. THIS CAR IS STILL BRAND NEW. ALL MILEAGE IS BETWEEN MY HOUSE AND THE DEALER. Car still drove badly (not as bad) but now the steering wheel is canted to the right and the car drifts to the left. Front end is out of alignment. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN? I argue for new tires with the salesman and was told to contact Regency. I DID NOT BUY THE CAR FROM REGENCY. They did the conversion on the car and took off the tires that came from the factory and replaced them with P275 55 R20's. They just happened to be Goodyear LS tires. I am getting pretty fed up with a new Chevy that drives like crap. Fed up I contact GM customer service. They tell me to take the car back to the dealer for an "evaluation of the problem". In an hour or two they call me back and say, NOT GM's problem. Dealer corrects the front end problem and balances the two OLD tires. I take the car to my tire shop and have all 4 wheels rebalanced. One tire has noticable "Wobble" on the machine and ends up taking 8 oz. of weight. (1/2 lb.) the two new tires were not balanced properly. Michelin tires arrive, I have my guys mount and balance them and the car drives properly. SHOULD I HAVE TO PAY FOR THESE NEW TIRES? TPBeach

Did you read your Regency warranty? I just did on their website. It states that they undertake and warrant all modifications, customizing services and equipment installations to be free from defects etc. for the warranty period. It also says that the Regency Service Department is your PRIMARY contact for obtaining information or assistance relating to warranty parts or repairs. GM customer service quite properly told you that it wasn't their problem. Regency is a completely different company that warrants what THEY do to a vehicle after it leaves the factory. Had you bothered to read the warranty, you would have known that. You were given good advice, to contact Regency, which it appears you completely ignored, because you "didn't buy the car" from them. Fact is, you DID buy the tires and wheels from them, not GM. If you were to call Regency and explain the problems you've had, they 'might' try to help you out, but I wouldn't hold my breath at this point.
Dave
The Regency warranty does not warrant tires, and after discussing this problem with their customer service guy he eventually faxed back a "sorry, we will not cover your tires" to me. I therefore am going back to the company from which I purchased the vehicle. TPB
Why anyone would put 20" tires on a passenger vehicle in the first place is a mystery to me.
"This car drove badly at 60". -So I bought it.

Mike Marlow wrote:

Happy that you are not defending GM. Before I signed the docs on this Tahoe, I told the salemen that this car has a bad shake at speeds over 60. I was told that that was because it was sitting around on the tires (Goodyear LS) for a few months and that I should drive the car for a few hundred miles and it would work itself out. I never heard of anything so stupid in my life but again, thinking that I could get them balanced all would be well.
I took the car back to the dealer and coaxed them into balancing the wheels. The tech came back into the sales area and the next thing I know they drove my car to Phoenix to get Goodyear to replace tires under GOODYEAR WARRANTY. When it came back it had two new Goodyear LS 2's on it and it still drove like shit. At that time the car had less than 500 miles on it. Now the steering wheel was canted to the right and the car drifted to the left. Front end totally out of alignment.
Chevy dealer did the front end and balanced THE TWO OLDER TIRES. Car still drove like shit. Was told to contact Regency, the company that did the conversion. Someone else told me to contact the GM zone rep. It was impossible to get anyone to tell me how to contact the GM zone rep for Phoenix, AZ or whatever zone we are in here.
Decided that I would take a buddy up- on the offer to get a set of Michelin LTX M/S tires at his cost.
Had them mounted and balanced at my tire shop. The car finally drives beautifully. I did contact Regency last week and they told me that they would call me back sometime next week. I did not mention the rear seat that will not fold or fasten itself back to the floor. Parts on order. I did not mention that Regency left the original spare on the car but you cannot mount that spare on any of the wheels due to the dust covers on the brake calipers. I did not mention that the carbon fiber dash does not extend to the console and rear heat controls. I did not mention that the guy at Regency told me to be careful with my ring on the steering wheel because it may cause the carbon fiber to peel. I did not mention that the two covers that were installed when the roof luggage racks were removed have bad chips in the paint. Other than that, I just love the car.
TPBeach