GM Customer Service

Page 2 of 2
I think I would have went to a Goodyear tire shop and got those tires replaced, if they were that bad. Michelin doesn't make the best tire either,
my Blazer wore them out in 35,000 miles. I replaced them with Coopers and they lasted over 45,000 miles, at which I sold the vehicle, and they still didn't look that bad. My opinion is Michelin are over rated. The Goodyears on my Z-71 still had better than half the tread at 45,000 and rode great, but the tires need to be rotated every 8-10,000 miles.

-
Well Lurch, tread life is only one factor. Tire design is a bag of trade-offs, with things like tread life, traction (dry, wet or perhaps mud and snow too), heat dissipation, maximum rated speed, etc. all playing a role.
While I do not know if it is the situation in the case you mention, I do know that typically when long lasting tread life is prioritized, traction (especially dry) is usually degraded as a design trade off. Personally, I prioritize on traction over tread life because my life is more important than the tread's life.
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 06:48:08 -0500, "The Adams Family"

Ref my above message, even though the tires were warranted by the tire manufacturer, my dealer changed and replaced the tires twice. ( I am on my 3rd set @22000 miles. 02 silverado ext cab) It may be due to my complaint within the 2nd week of ownership that they felt responsible. On my previous truck, premium tires (goodyear) were on my invoice. I had a lot of trouble with them as well, and after several alignments, rebalancing etc. I demanded a warranty claim to the GY tire shop. I was told that they would pro-rate them on the remaining tread. The pro rate was on the MSRP of the tires which turned out to be more than the same tire on sale at that dealer. I bought Michelon m/s and they were on the truck when I sold it (92 silverado 4.3)@ 88,000 miles. All the vibration, shaking, uneven wear went away as soon as I dumped the GYr's.

miles. 02 silverado ext cab) It may be due to my complaint

previous
trouble
dealer.
Good for you. I'm no fan of Goodyear tires and I'm glad to see someone get a deal out of the whole affair.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Yeah, I had GY on my car (were the orginals install by factory). They were performance tires but let me tell you, their traction in the wet was sooooo horrible it was scary. Truly scary because it was magnified by having gobs of power to the drive wheels. I put on some Michellin Pilot Sports and have noticed a DRAMATIC improvement in wet traction. I have also noticed improvement in other areas though to a lesser degree than the wet traction improvement.

Yeah, finally, 3 weeks and 1400 miles after purchase, the Tahoe rides like a dream. I purchased a pick up truck at a GMC dealer and they offered to service the Tahoe for me as well. It is a longer drive but now I don't mind the drive. To me, Customer Service means just that, customer & service. Lately it appears that Customer Service has become the name of a department where the customer has become the enemy and must be dealt with accordingly. I invite anyone to read the customer comments/reviews on the Goodyear LS and LS2 tires on the Tire Rack web site. They seem to be dog tires and I would hope that the NTSB would check that site out too. As for Toyotas, the one and only 4 Runner I had was built for a shorter person and I chose not to have the seat permanently moved back an inch or two. Therefore, it was my one and only foreign built car. Oh, also it would not get out of its own way with a very slow V-6 engine. TPBeach
Azonie wrote:

I'm glad things have worked out for you. I have a Wrangler that I was going to get rid of because of the ride, but I put a set of the Michelin LTX's on it and now I plan on keeping it at least a few more years. I'm afraid that what you describe at the GM dealership has spread to almost all dealerships. In years past dealers seemed to see Customer Service as a loss leader, a way to build customer loyalty and increase future sales. Now, they see it as a profit center, a way of making more money off anyone that comes in. The last 4 vehicles I've bought at dealerships are Jeeps. I still have 3 of them, but in the last 10 years I've failed to find a Dealership where I consider their shops both honest and competent. I spent 4 hours one Saturday morning trying to get a 30 minute oil change only to find out they were trying to charge me an additional $272 for a front end alignment I had not authorized and did not need. I know people who have had experiences at Nissan dealerships that were just as bad. One friend that drives a Murano checked his oil after getting back from an oil change and found that the oil was a pint low and obviously dirty. The oil filter had not been changed, either. Both things that he'd paid for. So, I understand your frustration, but I don't think the problem is just limited to GM.
Later,
Andy C.(never #)
I think that sometimes the manufacturers cherry-pick the best tires, and the second best go to the tire shops. Years ago I had great luck with Goodyears on a new car, 40K miles + and totally even wear. I put 4 new Goodyears on it, then a few months later went to have the balance checked for a long trip. The Goodyear service tech showed me with a runout gauge where all 4 tires were unbalanceable - either out of round, or extremely wobbly. Never bought Goodyears again; I now have Michelins on all my tires for several years and have been very happy with them.
I started buying Michelins when an industrial consultant (NOT from Michelin, just a general troubleshooter) gave a talk at my company - he spoke very highly of the quality control and manufacturing processes at Michelin. So this guy has actually been in the factory and seen how they do things.
-= Larry A.

Amen, SgtSilicon!
Many years ago I was unhappy with the short life of my motorcycle's rear tire. I got one with a harder rear tire, guaranteed to last much longer. I had constant skidding problems with it (duh), and finally plowed up a quarter mile of ground (thankfully in the middle of the freeway lanes) when it locked up during an emergency stop. Hell with long life; go for the traction. Or you'll be IN traction!!
-= Larry A.
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:47:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ihatespam.net (SgtSilicon) wrote:

Azonie wrote:

You are one of the zillions of people silly enough to spend $50,000 on $25,000 worth of truck.
It is no wonder that GM and others make all of their profits on these monsters. Big, cheaply built trucks sold at luxury car prices. Lutz & friends are laughing at you all the way to the bank.
John

You noticed!