GM head lights

Page 1 of 9
Is there any way to install a switch so the headlights can be turned off on a 2001 Chevy Tracker? thanks, Tim fm CT

"Tim Dolan" wrote: > Is there any way to install a switch so the headlights can be turned > off on > a 2001 Chevy Tracker? > thanks, Tim fm CT
The daytime running lamp (DRL) control module is located beneath the instrument panel to the right of the steering column. The module is mounted to the remote control door lock receiver bracket.
LeBuick, Please provide more details. Would you describe a wire that I can tap into? Thanks, Tim fm Ct>

http://www.AutoForumz.com/eform.php?p20525
My guess is that if you do this, the BCM will detect a DRL malfunction and set a code causing the "Check Vehicle Soon" light to come on. GM has effectively locked down the *owners* ability to disable the DRL on many models. Not sure about the Tracker.
| > "Tim Dolan" wrote: | > > Is there any way to install a switch so the headlights can be | > turned | > > off on | > > a 2001 Chevy Tracker? | > > thanks, Tim fm CT | > | > The daytime running lamp (DRL) control module is located beneath the | > instrument panel to the right of the steering column. The module is | > mounted to the remote control door lock receiver bracket. | > | > -- | > http://www.AutoForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request | > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards | > Topic URL: http://www.AutoForumz.com/GM-head-lights-ftopict72039.html | > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: | http://www.AutoForumz.com/eform.php?p20525 |
Let's see, pressing the dome override button 4 times will disable them on most GM trucks from MY 2000 and up. Wonder if it works on the Tracker. This Disable is only for that ignition cycle...
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:18:20 -0400, "James C. Reeves"

Not likely...that override procedure is only available on the trucks and SUVs. And the procedure also disables the ambient light control (a.k.a. auto headlights). As you mention, the next ignition cycle defaults back to "enabled"...so it would be something that would need to be done every time the truck is started or restarted.
| >| > "Tim Dolan" wrote: | >| > > Is there any way to install a switch so the headlights can be | >| > turned | >| > > off on | >| > > a 2001 Chevy Tracker? | >| > > thanks, Tim fm CT | >| > | >| > The daytime running lamp (DRL) control module is located beneath the | >| > instrument panel to the right of the steering column. The module is | >| > mounted to the remote control door lock receiver bracket. | >| > | >| > -- | >| > http://www.AutoForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request | >| > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards | >| > Topic URL: http://www.AutoForumz.com/GM-head-lights-ftopict72039.html | >| > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: | >| http://www.AutoForumz.com/eform.php?p20525 | >| | > |
Mike, Yes apparently that works on the silverado. switch is on the dash I think. The tracker doesn't have that switch. I guess GM engineers have never driven into a drive in movie or a camp grounds late at night. If they had, they'd have a freak'n over ride switch painted in dayglow red.

request
Considering that the Tracker IS NOT a GM designed vehicle, why do you blame GM. It is a Suzuki with GM badges. Talk to Suzuki about it.
--
Steve Williams

"Tim Dolan" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message
"Tim Dolan" wrote in message news:

Drive-in movie? What century are you living in? Haven't seen one of those since the late 70s/early 80s.

camp
There are a couple of drive-in's within a couple hours of Toronto, Ontario. I have been to both of them. :)
--
80Knight
--1991 Pontiac Bonneville SSE Sedan
On 30 Sep 2004 12:56:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (Bobby The D) wrote:

There's still one up here in Upstate, NY near Albany. I'm sure there are others still littered about the country...
-snip-

Actually 4- if you're willing to take a spin up the Northway - Malta, Coxsackie, Hollywood in Averill Park & Jericho in Glenmont.
[see http://www.driveinmovie.com/mainmenu.htm for details on Drive-ins all over the country]
Jim

The Malta drive-in was the one I was thinking of. Coxsackie is actually a trip down the Thruway for me, I'm in Albany, or thereabouts...
Still have one out in Palatine Bridge as well. El Rancho Drive in. Been there since the early 50's.
--
Steve Williams

"Mike Levy" < snipped-for-privacy@levyclan.nospam.us> wrote in message
try depressing your parking brake pedal slightly and see if that turns off your headlights. it works on my 98 gmc.
Dave, depress the brake pedal?? Yiipes, that must be a problem when you are driving down the read. <VBG> please provide more detail...

He was probably referring to the emergency brake (speculation on my part). No matter, bad idea as that will deactivate the ABS system on most GM vehicles.
| > try depressing your parking brake pedal slightly and see if that turns | > off your headlights. it works on my 98 gmc. | > |
"parking brake pedal"---before you drive off.and only slightly so that the brakes are not yet applied.
That type of over-ride isn't on all vehicles and besides, it's a PITA to deal with that EACH time you start up your vehicle.
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:40:11 GMT, Mike Levy

Replace the light sensor with a circuit that will always present the same electrical characteristics as the sensor does during daylight. Then, just like the old days, you can actually use your headlamp switch to control the lights! YOU have control. Not the pinheads at GM!
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:18:20 -0400, "James C. Reeves"