GMC 1996 1500 Transmission Shifting question

I was recently informed by a master mechanic that shifting the automatic transmission starting in 1st gear through 3rd gear was harmful to the transmission if you do this on a regular basis. I have
worked on pickups for over a decade and have yet to hear of this. Does anyone know if this is true? If so any links with info as to why?
Vehicle Type:
1996 GMS 1/2 ton single cab short bed 5.7 liter V8 Automatic transmission 2wd
And how is this harmful? Not true

-
I agree with Shep. Not true.

Thanks guys I also read an article after googling the hell out of it and found a Minnesota newspaper article that clearly stated why it is not harmful to the transmission. My girlfreinds uncle is a master idiot instead of a master mechanic spewing his ignorance as I tried to explain to her earlier.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

A lot of these ideas go away back in time, and even good mechanics sometimes have mistaken ideas about how some things work.
A pet of mine is the idea that if you remove the thermostat from a car, the engine will not cool as well because the coolant can pass through the radiator so quickly that it doesn't have time to cool down. You even see this posted in some 'informative' sites. (The facts are, of course, that this is bullshit.) There are reasons to keep the thermostat in the system, but this idea is NOT one of them.
Another is to drain antifreeze and replace with plain water in the summer, which is a waste of time and causes real problems with today's cars. Roy