How to test parking brake

Hello,

I just changed the parking brake shoe on 2001 Youkon Denali for an effort to pass inspection Adjusted the starwheel and testion at the brake equalizer. Now I can push the vehicle in neutral but I can not push in neutal with parking brake applied. The car still moves when running in drive or reverse gears with parking brake applied.

My question is what is the test. With parking brake applied, you can not push vehicle in neutral or car must not move when running in drive or reverse gears. Inspection guy wants to make sure car can not be moving in drive or reverse gears.

Also the parking brake pedal goes to floor with little foot pressure. Is this normal. When parking brake applied, I have checked cable tension and cables are very tight and parking brake lever behind both wheel moves to the fully open position.

Thanks

Reply to
suren

The parking brake (AKA emergency brake) should hold the running vehicle upon application or slow a moving vehicle (usually in the range of 5-6 "clicks").

I don't know about the 2001 Yukon Denali's but many vehicles have adjustments inside the brake housing for the shoes to ensure there is minimal cable travel for application or release. Check that you adjusted that correctly before you adjusted your cable length.

Reply to
Full_Name

First thing, you cannot make an adjustment at the brake equalizer ( ie: the cable itself). This was not intended to be an adjustment on these vehicles....it should simply be tightened all the way up. The adjustment is made at the park brake shoes and you pretty much have to remove the rear rotors to do the adjustment. If you have those park brake shoes adjusted properly, the park brake should hold the vehicle from moving in reverse or drive. The brake pedal will feel like mush...this is normal.

Yes, it is normal. I think that you don't have the park brake shoes adjusted up enough.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai