Hydaulic Clutch Problem?

Hi,

95 Cavalier 5-spd with non-adjustable Hyd clutch, 90k miles. No clutch work done recently.

From a standstill the trans grinds when I try to get it into any gear. While driving, it grinds between gears. From a standstill it almost won't go into reverse, unless forced (bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-clunk!)

The clutch plate doesn't seem to slip at all. I've tried to get it to slip at all RPM speeds, and gears. Won't slip.

If I select 1st gear at a standstill, the clutch engages as soon as I lift my foot. It seems like the clutch plate is not seperating enough when pedal is fully depressed.

Over the past week the problem has gotten progressively worse. I don't think it is the clutch plate as it doesn't slip.

Does it sound like air in the line?...Any ideas?

Reply to
Urban Sherpa

Sounds like it has a fluid leak they are very hard to bleed takes long time but has to be done to remove excess freeplay.

Jim.J

Reply to
Jim.J

"Urban Sherpa" wrote

You have a hydraulic problem. Check your fluid level, if it is low, then you have a leak somewhere. Stick your head under the dash and have a look at the clutch push rod where it goes into the firewall, see if you can see any fluid leak there. Or you may have a fluid leak from the slave cylinder which is inside the bellhousing of the trans. If you do not have low fluid...the problem is most likely your clutch master cylinder.

Either way, bleeding will not help anything, other then to confirm that you have a hydraulic problem. The problem will probably persist until you replace either the master and/or slave. Both is preferable, but it's pricey replacing the slave, as the trans has to come out.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Thanks to everyone for the help. I'll follow the concensus, and check out the master, and slave cylinders. Ten years ago I'd be at the mercy of a mechanic,....with these newsgroups I can fix it myself,....and learn something in the process!

Thanks again guys,

-Karl

Reply to
Urban Sherpa