Intake Failure 3800 Park Avenue

Page 2 of 2
message

You have a rare car indeed if your gasket hasnt gone yet, then again you should not be replacing a timing chain at 98k miles either. It lasted a little bit longer than a belt.

Sorry to hear about your PA engine problem. I have a 98 PA and have been keeping an eagle eye on the cooolant level in hopes of catching any problems early. My vehicle has 51K miles on it an no problems so far. Was curious if you noticed an external coolant leak right before you had the intake gaskets replaced? Also, did they inspect the EGR stovepipe for deterioration when they had the intakes off? I understand that the EGR stovepipe, which has coolant around it, can develop a leak and allow coolant directly into the engine intake. Was also curious if you think the gasket replacement wasn't done correctly and that is why coolant got into the oil and caused the bearing failure? How many miles did your 99 PA have on it when this failure occurred? Thanks for any info you can provide.

On any of these engines a person should spend the $20 at least once per year for an engine oil analysis. This will show you signs of coolant contamination long before the drop in levels becomes very noticeable.
I use Blackstone Laboratories: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.html
John
Does anyone have a feel as to how prevelant these failures are on the 3800 II engine due to intake manifold gasket problems and the EGR stovepipe and plenum deterioration? GM must have manufactured millions of these engines over the years. Are all of them going to fail or is it just a very small percentage that we hear about on the internet? Would be interesting to know the true story about how many are really failing versus how many run for many, many miles without a problem. Can anyone shed some light on this?
My engine on Regal 1996, also failed @ 130K km. It was water in the oil. They asked me CA$6000 to repaired.
Boba Vancouver