Is it the starter?

I have a 1989 Cadillac Deville. Tonight, I drove it for about an hour and shut it off. When I tried to restart it, all the dash lights came on and it clicked, but it wouldn't start. It has a brand new battery and the alternator is less than a year old. Could it be a bad starter? If so, where is it located on this car and is it easily replaced by a non-mechanic?

Reply to
Chylli

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Reply to
SgtSilicon

non-mechanic?

Reply to
den630

Chylli wrote in alt.autos.gm

It sounds to me like the battery is low. Clean and tighten the terminals on the battery. I bought a car on Labor Day, and then in November the same thing happened to me. The battery turned out to be about a year old, but the positive terminal (GM side terminal of course, was not put on quite right, leading to the bolt needing to be replaced, and a charge put on the battery. I hate those terminals. Anyway, check that, and then check the connections for the alternator, and the belt tension. Then charge the battery and you should be good to go. Remember, just because it is new does not mean it is good. Nor does it mean that everything is tight. They should be, but there is always the possibility of faulty parts, or loose connections. By the way, the start is almost always under the engine at the flywheel end. And that is the end with the transmission on it. The alternator, powersteering and AC are mounted on the other end of the engine. On a front wheel drive car, this means that everything is on one side with the transmission connecting on the other side.

Reply to
Dick C