new defective charcoal purge solenoid ??? and clearing codes

So I get a new charcoal canister with surge valve attached as the local prime.pronto and another good parts dealer cannot find just the solenoid alone for my model from the ac delco catalog. ok ! after delivery I put it in , power it up at idle and test it at the purge port with my hand vacuum pump. WELL I could get it up to 15" but it would leak down in less in than ten seconds to zero while powered. Make that 5 seconds. I bring it back in and say it's defective. now it's Monday over the weekend before they get a delivery on a replacement.

While this one worked a whole lot better than my old one, is this an indication of a defective part ? just checking with the pro's here.

thanks

the charcoal canister. I just took mine out of the loop until the new one comes in. The difference is huge. works a lot better now , no surging at idle. or a huge surge at start up.

SECOND QUESTION:

I pull the ECM fuse to clear the codes for like a half hour and the codes do not clear, I was getting a 45 too rich, now with the canister ports plugged I also get a code 44 too Lean I think haven't looked it up yet.

I thought the codes would clear after I powered it down and before I started it ???

hey it's a 89 olds ciera with only 195,000 miles on it vin W 2.8 L V6

Thanks again

Reply to
Mr X