New Impala

I am curious as to the reputations of the late model impalas? I am considering getting one of the 9C1 cars out there. What should I look out for? What are the common problems?
Also, is the new "Displacement on Demand" system worth a crap?
Thx Mike

Wait until they are out a few years.

Based on Chryslers 300C experiences I'd say yes if you highway drive a lot at reasonable legal speeds. If you mainly urban drive it will gain you very little and you'll pay through the nose for high urban gas consumption as a result of too large an engine.

Likely if it is a transverse engine layout, but torque steer has been pretty well designed out of most transverse engine layouts. I'm wondering if cheap GM has done a redesign to handle the significantly increased torque. CV joint issues take lots of miles to detect.
If I could try one I'd tell you in 5 minutes if it has unacceptable torque steer. It just takes a few corners under high output to detect the steering not returning to center on it's own. Very dangerous!
My obsolete Concord's inline engine layout has negligible torque steer.

I had a '92 corsica that would reciprocate the wheel back and forth rather wildly if I took a corner under full throttle and let go of the wheel to let it go back to center. I thought it was amusing, but I don't recall being in danger. I'd just grab ahold of the wheel and/or let off the gas and all was well.

Olaf wrote:

RE: "I thought it was amusing, but I don't recall being in danger." I agree Olaf. It's all a matter of knowing your own vehicle and how it operates and driving it accordingly.

I've had significant problems with a few high power FWD rental cars, when turning right merging into the traffic under high throttle. A few cars with terrible torque steer just wouldn't straighten out unless I let off the throttle.